We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Workstation Show and Tell

Thanks

Workstation Show and Tell

I saw in another online community that people were sharing pictures of their workstations to show off their kwirky decorations or fancy set-up. Thought it might be fun to do that here; we spend at least part-time hours in front of our computers every week, so it stands to reason you've got fun things around there to share.

Show us what your kids made for you for Mother's day, show us what you have on your desk for inspiration, or just show us something cool. If you can't show, just tell. Seriously, don't share anything but your own pictures.

My workstation consists of monitors, audio, accessories and a desk that were all procured at thrift stores, so its not attractive enough to share. My wall decorations though; that's what makes my workstation awesome.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s420/Ku_Ku_Kachoo/SciAm03-03-1883.jpg
    http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s420/Ku_Ku_Kachoo/SciAm03-09-1889.jpg
    http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s420/Ku_Ku_Kachoo/SciAm11-03-1883.jpg

They're Scientific American periodicals, two from 1883 and one from 1889. They're the first 'antique' decorations I've ever had; I'm 22 and can't really afford antiques. In this case, the used bookstore I frequent gave me a ridiculous discount on them because it was Christmas Eve (2011,) and they were just too cool to pass up. You can only see the covers because they're framed, but they are full periodicals that would withstand thumbing-through today.

The first one (dated March 3rd, 1883) features an engraving of a 'drudging machine,' one of the two beasts used to actually dig up and move all the dirt and mud that needed moving to open the Panama canal.

The second one dated March 9th, 1889) features an engraving of one of the first 'typesetting machines' called the Linotype machine. At this point, the Scientific American was being printed with moveable type composed by hand for each page. It was the wave of the future! It was used commercially through the 70's, until typewriters replaced them.

The third one (dated November 3, 1883) features two engravings; but I love this one for the lower engraving specifically; its an engraving of 'The Barney Automatic Dumping Boat.' Yes, it was a proposed plan for dumping garbage at sea.

Its truly amazing to look back at our great grandparents and great-great grandparents and see just how different the world was for them. I love these snapshots of the late 19th century. They remind me to be grateful for an opportunity like mTurk and they inspire me to work hard.

Cool trivia: The Scientific American was first published in 1845. At 167 years old, it is the oldest continuously published monthly magazine in America.
    "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal." - Headstone in Ireland

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KuKuKachoo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Thanks

My workstation is my laptop on my kitchen table. Not very exciting!
    Brandy

Quote Originally Posted by brandyh29 View Post
    Lol that is exactly my set up too!

Closed Account
    Thanks

Similar, but replace "kitchen table" with "bed."

You can keep "Not very exciting!" in there, though.

Closed Account cmkstar - closed's Avatar
    Thanks

Ditto but couch and coffee table

Thanks

Mine is my laptop and my couch not too fun

Thanks

Sad, I wanted to hear about everybody's cool stuff!

Maybe I'm just the last person with a 'workstation.'
    "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal." - Headstone in Ireland

Mine is a laptop on a TV tray in front of the couch, so about as exciting as everyone else. My office got displaced almost 4 years ago when our office/guest room became our daughter's bedroom

Closed Account
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KuKuKachoo View Post
    Sad, I wanted to hear about everybody's cool stuff!

Maybe I'm just the last person with a 'workstation.'
    Well, okay, if you insist.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JamesBJames - closed For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,551 Times in 705 Posts

My workstation....

My Laptop and.... dining room table, couch, bed, lazy boy, park bench, chemo chair, pool side.....etc. I guess you all get the point. I actually do have a "workstation" with a desktop, desk, printer, supplies and the whole nine yards. However, since I got my laptop (something I said I would never use) at Christmas time this past year, I very rarely use the desktop anymore. I just love the freedom of being able to work ANYWHERE I want. It seems to make the day less monotonous when I can move around to different places.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast