We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yay bee's!

Thanks

I, like several people here, run far far away when I see any stinging insect anywhere near me. I'm in my 30s and had yet to be stung by a bee (though a baby scorpion managed to take the title of "first thing to ever sting me"). That was, until last year, when it was nearing summertime and I wore my sleeveless sundress to the dog park. A bee somehow managed to nestle into my dress without me realizing and it got mad when it couldn't escape, so it stung me RIGHT ON THE BOOB.

Thankfully, I turned out to not be allergic. Unthankfully, my dog got sick on the rushed car ride home and puked in my lap.

If you want to attract bees, I suggest planting mint. I have spearmint, peppermint and catnip growing in a flower bed. If you let the mint grow until it flowers, you will get a lot of bees! I can't even walk by this flowerbed at the moment without hearing it "humming" with bees. We have a garden, so I am thankful for the bees. I've seen a lot of bumblebees recently pollinating the squash plants.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I love bees for a bit of an odd reason.

I believe modern honey bees arrived around four million years ago and the honey was / is fabulous at killing bacteria.

It wasn't until about 40,000 years ago that yeast developed the ability to withstand the intense osmotic pressures necessary to survive in honey. That same ability made fermentation as we know it possible!

Those yeast kept breeding and took the leap to the skin of grapes and lead to the accidental discovery of wine.

Ultimately these yeasts were used in beer!

Next time you havea beer thank the bees!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to quizno For This Useful Post:

An informative and funny video on Ted, which just came out, all about urban bees... check it out:

http://www.ted.com/talks/noah_wilson...oney_bees.html

Now I want a beehive of my very own!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eddypoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Honey Bees are needed for flowers and other things. But I am allergic, I won't die or anything, but if I get stung it friggin hurts so bad and I swell up like a balloon, takes a good 6 weeks for the area around a sting to be 100% normal. So I am not trying to attract any of them. And now that I have seen this post I dunno if I have even seen a bee all year

Thanks

Luckily honey bees are extremely passive. They get a bad reputation from wasps, hornets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by quizno View Post
    Luckily honey bees are extremely passive. They get a bad reputation from wasps, hornets, etc.
    Agreed, much like many insects bee's won't typically mess with ya if ya don't give em reason. (Typically at least, there is sometimes a renegade...)

Thanks

Slow day turking who cares.... watching about bees. Thanx Purplestarfishx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123