We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chickens!?

Thanks

I LOOOOOVE EXOTIC CHICKENS! I always wanted to get some as pets, and to have fresh eggs. I live in Los Angeles, but I live in the hills and other people have some chickens and there's one male peacock that calls my street his home... not sure who he belongs to, but his name is Miles.
    I go to the petting zoo during various holidays and let the babies roost on my shoulders. It's so cute!
    My worry is that they are a pain to clean up after. I already clean up after 3 guinea pigs, a dog, and two kids.
    Where do you get them?

Where to get chickens??? -- other than someone who has a hen and rooster -- Go to you local feed store. You're going to need a feed store anyway to buy the chicken feed. [don't feed layer to growing chicks]. Most feed stores sell chicks in any number you want [get two or three as they are social animals]. You can also order chicks online but don't know how many you have to order for them to mail them to you [[ Yes, the USPS takes mailed chicks, you have to pick them up at your post office. And they used to have a minimum that the breeders would mail -- due to keeping warm etc -- but it might depend on how close you are to a mail order breeder -- the Feed stores get theirs via mail order, but they buy 50 or 100 anyway and sell them in their store]]

Chickens are generally kept outside. There is some sort of 'coop' for them to get out of the weather, sleep in, lay eggs in, etc. which in suburban settings has fencing around it. That is to keep the chickens in, neighborhood dogs out in the day time, and raccoons out at night. Many people turn their chickens loose while they are home -- generally in a backyard. The more chickens are on 'green grass' the less feed they eat. Chickens will put themselves to bed when it is dark but they don't know how to lock themselves up from the raccoon [bobcats, possums, etc].

In the coops they generally put wood chips. I prefer leaves. The best are maple leaves. Going to be oak leaves this next cleaning. I sort of do a 'deep litter' method, in that I keep adding leaves. Then later, I toss everything onto the composting end of the garden. I also have a dropping board. Sometimes I put in dry grass cuttings or hay -- mostly in the laying area. If you don't use pesticide or weed and feed, you can give the chickens all your grass cuttings. They will eat some and stamp and dig through the rest until they are compost ready, with some added chicken poop.

Oh, look up chicken tea, too, if you have plants or garden.

Chickens can do in the grass if they have a small space, so lots of people also chip or leaf that. Or use chicken tractors [google it]. I have a chicken tractor I made, simple one, use it to train baby chicks how to forage when they are still hawk carry out lunch size. Chicks also need extra special care the first few weeks. Lots of good sites tell you the details. I brooded them in the garage, the kitchen and on the front porch depending upon their ages and the weather. Heard of people who used an extra bathroom [the tub] or a basement.

So, yes, chickens need cleaned up, but it is not like a guine pig or cat or a kid.

Inside chickens -- There are something called 'CHICKEN DIAPERS' They are reusable and house pet chickens use them. so if you plan on really really tame chickens who will watch TV with you, consider making or buying some chicken diapers [there is a Ytube on how to put a pair on I understand is pretty good].

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hardbackjean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 669 Posts

I wish I could keep chickens.

A classic chicken program to watch is The Natural History of the Chicken

A place I like to occasionally window shop http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

Thanks

O-M-G!!!! "My little soulmate". This is pure gold. "a classic chicken program". Thank YOU!!!

We currently have several dozen chickens, and all their names come out of cook books

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by getenough View Post
    Am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about chicken counting?!
    Or the only one to admit it.

Thanks

We are getting chickies again soon. We had a couple last spring but the neighbors dog got into our chicken coop. We had 2 chickens that we hand raised & tamed. Even when they got to egg laying age they would come up to you and like to be picked up and petted or sit on your shoulder lol. It was cute when they were little but they got heavy when they got to be full grown size.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rynn View Post
    We are getting chickies again soon. We had a couple last spring but the neighbors dog got into our chicken coop. We had 2 chickens that we hand raised & tamed. Even when they got to egg laying age they would come up to you and like to be picked up and petted or sit on your shoulder lol. It was cute when they were little but they got heavy when they got to be full grown size.
    we have a golden lace cochin that has been on her nest a little over a week now. She is so pretty and very sweet. Right now I have a 4 month old mix in the house at night, I am not ready to leave her unsupervised with the others in the chicken house yet. We asked for a cochin frizzle but I am pretty sure she has silkie in her. She is so cute, she sets on my lap while I am typing with her neck over my arm and goes to sleep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rynn View Post

Awwww... how cute is that? I never knew Chickens could be so sweet. Do you live in California, by any chance? This is totally unrelated, but I understand that possums can be good pets. Apparently they're completely harmless.

Alycia

Thanks

Congrats on your new chicks we are still in the process of getting things ready to purchase our chickens. It takes time and effort on our part to build everything but I know it will be well worth it in the end.
    I may be knocked down, but I sure as hell am not out of the game yet!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast