We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Chickens!?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 833 Posts

I would love to have chickens again, but we have too many predators around here. Anybody have any ideas about how to make a predator-proof chicken tractor? Permanent fencing is not feasible for us right now, so something small and movable would be great!

Thanks

I don't have any chickens, even though you would think I had eight. My neighbors had a rooster and seven hens. They moved out months ago. Somehow or another, they left their chickens and they stay in the edge of my woods raising a ruckus. I have yet to find an egg. Maybe they wouldn't bother me so much if I atleast could get eggs from them.

Thanks

It is always nice to see a new post in the Chicken thread! I thought I would post this link for a little inspiration! Chickens don't seem to be too picky about how their coop looks. We built ours out of an old style wooden fireworks stand. It turned out looking pretty good after we got it painted. Just give them some scraps and in no time they'll come running every time they hear someone! If they're not already, I know we had some hens that had there own favorite hiding spots instead of laying in the coop! http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/..._chicken_coop/

Quote Originally Posted by EMfromOZ View Post
    I would love to have chickens again, but we have too many predators around here. Anybody have any ideas about how to make a predator-proof chicken tractor? Permanent fencing is not feasible for us right now, so something small and movable would be great!
    I would recommend having a mini-coop fully enclosed along with the tractor. Close the door to the grazing area at night. This should work unless you have predator problems during the day. Having a dog nearby can also help with predators, but if you don't have fencing, you probably can't have a dog out there either unless you are willing to keep it on a tie out.

Thanks

This is our second run of chickens. Our first run was a few years ago. We had 8 Buff Orpingtons, 1 turned out to be a rooster. About a year later 1 of the hens died, never did find out what happened. No signs of disease, no predators, no other chickens got sick or died, no clue. We kept them until they stopped laying then had them processed.

A couple months ago we got a dozen Buffs again. We were actually wanting a rooster this time but didn't get one. They haven't started laying yet. Right now I've got them in the pole barn in a small coup. I'm working on a tractor, larger coup and a good size run in the back. We've has so much rain it's difficult to get things done recently.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456