We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chickens!?

Thanks

Chickens!?

Does anyone else love chickens? I just got 2 new frizzles over the weekend and I just think they are so cute!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to binderlady For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a beautiful, multi-colored rooster. I don't know what kind he is. I had a couple of hens but I think a raccoon managed to get in the barn and get them. Also, Willie (the rooster) was mean with hens to protect. He's very tame and sweet on his own.

Closed Account
    Thanks

Never lived on a farm, so raising chickens is a completely foreign concept to me. How is it?

Thanks

I guess it just depends on how much of an animal lover you are. With some it is just a livestock thing ,supplying a need. Some people make fun of us for naming them and spending time with the chickens. I have only had chickens for a year now and our family enjoys them so much. We go outside and the chickens will come running as fast as they can to see if you have a treat for them. Some chickens seem to keep their distance and then others seem to really like human attention. There is always a chance you might get a rooster that will put you on the run, now getting flogged that is a major down side to raising chickens!

Thanks

I am watching my nieces and nephews this week and this is in their house...Attachment 282
    Looking for something?

Hi,

Presently have four hens. Figured out which one was laying the peewee/pullets eggs today. It is our eldest hen -- six year old buff orpington. Since she had only previously been laying a rare egg every so often, it fits.

We have problems with bob cats here.

Planning on getting 2 or 3 chicks in the next week or so. That way they will be starting laying when the others are working on their molt.

Our hens can tell my mother and I apart. I open the door -- four chicken heads pop to attention, sometimes starting towards me. Then it is -- oh, it is just 'her'. My mother opens the door and they break the sound barrier getting to her as she is the 'treat-goodie' lady.

Closed Account
    Thanks

We have several, 15 or so chickens. Some are to young to tell if they are boys or girls. We have 3 laying, though. It's pretty neat.

They are pets. My dd has named all of them. We have Aeracaunas (sp?) that lay colored eggs (blues and greens). We also have some others that my husbands friend gave him. They are bantys and the one layer has tiny eggs. We'll use them, though.

We also have three silkys. They are adorable, we call them poofy heads! We know one is a boy and thinking the other two are girls.

We also have a goose. My husband brought them home, but they like our neighbors house better. They come to our house every morning, though and the girl lays. We eat her eggs, too.

Thanks

We have three ducks and just took a poultry class for chickens. Right now we are in the process of building the roosting boxes/pens. Can't wait, I already have came up with names for them
    I may be knocked down, but I sure as hell am not out of the game yet!

Thanks

You are doing better than I am. I got my new chickens Saturday morning and I can't decide what to name them. I am sort of running out of favorite names because we have so many animals here. we already have nine chickens with names, 8 cats, 3 dogs, a skunk and a sugar glider. All the strays and animals folks don't want seem to find their way to our house!

BINDERLADY -- some times it takes awhile before the chicken 'finds' its name. They are much better at finding bugs than their name. [might be due to their small brains]. We recycled one of the present chicken names RED [full name 'Little Red Hen]. Original owner of that name was a Golden Comet [water moccassin probably killed her], this one is a Rhode Island. Buffy was imaginatively named because she is a Buff Orperton. Robin -- a mix of a black breed and Rhode Island, nicely red edged feathers on breast. Wild Thing took the longest to 'find' her name, but it is extremely apt.

[4 hens, 6 cats, 1 dog, 1 steer...at the moment]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast