We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a Chat Client to Access our Chat Room

Thanks
    Thanked 1,302 Times in 320 Posts

Setting up a Chat Client to Access our Chat Room

Setting up KVirc

There are many IRC clients that can be use to access our chat room. I am going to show everybody how to setup KVirc for our ChatRoom.

First step is to download KVirc and you can do it directly from their website.

Next, install it like any windows program. When you run it for the firsttime , you will need to add the network and server where our chat room is located. To the top right, the world icon needs to be clicked to add the network. In the network field, type "IRCHighway" in it to add it to the list. Make sure it is highlighted, for the next step.

With IRC highway highlighted in the network list, click on the server icon that is below the world icon on the right.

Enter in the name "irc.irchighway.net" into server field. The next step is to click the advanced button to the right.

The next window is where you will need to enter in your Username and the Nickname that will appear in the chat room. Only your nickname or "nick" will appear in chat.

The Connection tab has one setting that is optional. It is the checkbox to log onto the server when you start up KVirc.

To set KVirc to auto join Turker Nation when it starts up, you will need to add it. You will need to enter in "TurkerNation' in the bottom left field and then click the add button.

Click the Okay buttons on the windows and KVirc will be set up for use on TurkerNation. You can use it to replace our webchat link.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Project 2501 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Thanks

Thank you! I had been wondering about this very thing. However, I had to use irc.irchighway.net to get on.

Thanks

Setting up mIRC

Instructions are now found here: http://turkernation.com/showthread.p...ITs-are-posted

Jessann
    Is there a problem with just accessing the chat through this site?

In case anyone wants an alternative I use irccloud its a nifty cloud based irc thing that saves all you the conversations even if you close the window

In case anyone wants an invite pm me.

any Mac suggestions? I used to use mIRC on Windoze quite a bit as a kid, but haven't kept up with IRC in the past 15 years. would love to join in on the chat...

Thanks

For Mac, I like X-Chat Aqua. It is nice and for scripts. It uses Applescript. The price is nice too. It is free.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Project 2501 For This Useful Post:

much thanks! love apps that support applescript!

trying but not succeeding.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Thanks

This is a basic rundown of how to register your nickname in chat.

Enter the room and type: /msg NickServ REGISTER password email

You will be sent an e-mail with a passcode. Once you get it type: /msg NickServ confirm passcode

This will register your name so that no one else can use it. After this, you will need to authenticate yourself each time you join chat.

To authenticate type: /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password

Failure to authenticate will result in your name being changed to Guest12345. If that happens, just type: /nick YourNicknameHere and then authenticate.

If you get disconnected, but find that your nickname is still in chat, it's called a ghost.

Clear the ghost by typing: /msg NickServ GHOST nickname password
    Last edited by MysNyx; 04-26-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added additional info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast