We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other "exotic" keepers?

Thanks

Any other "exotic" keepers?

I haven't been involved in quite a few years but I used to keep a few exotics. Had a fox and a coatimundi, among others. I've also always kept reptiles and in the last few years had quite a few different tarantula and spider species. I'm particularly fond of the genus Avicularia. Anybody else?

Thanks

What was the coatimundi like? I didn't even know you could have one of those as a pet. And what sort of fox? I fancy getting a fox sometime, but that would be way down the line when I can afford a room to dedicate to it so it isn't eating my furniture and marking everywhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 511 Posts

Unless you own a county/estate/multiple acres, a fox is not a suitable pet. Indoor no-no.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to katie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katie View Post
    Unless you own a county/estate/multiple acres, a fox is not a suitable pet. Indoor no-no.
    I imagined having a room dedicated with a large outdoor enclosure attached- for a fennec, not a red. So it could have places to dig and such. I'd not get one at all if I couldn't provide it with adequate space and stimulation [which is why it is a dream, and one that wouldn't occur but very, very far in the future if it ever did.]

A fan of all critters, but luckily don't have to keep them since foxes, tarantulas, snakes, javelina, etc range in my yard. I have two ferrets (inherited from Freecycle) but those, I suppose, aren't exotic enough to be exotics these days.

I want a crested gecko but need to get my car situation situated first. I current have a rabbit and my roommate has 2 guinea pigs and a zillion fish.

I have cresties and they're great. They are really cheap to keep and feed too once you have the set-up right. If you get a breeding trio then you can expect around 15-18 babies a year which you can sell on and you don't need an incubator or anything clever to hatch them.

I love the exotic concept but after helping (taking better care of it than he did...) care for my ex roomates dingo mix I gained a new understanding of how some critters need ROOM. Dang dog could run farther than a half tank of gas will carry ya these days. Now the only exotic I keep or closest thing is my horned frog.

What sort of fox? I've heard of people having fenec's with good results, as long as there don't have too high expectations. (It ain't going to fetch the paper for one.)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jebediah For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not sure if it falls under exotic but we have a squirrel. He fell out of a tree as a baby and kinda stuck with us.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm not sure they are "exotics" but I have a Russian desert tortoise and a Malaysian Box turtle. I also have 2 red ear sliders, 3 painted turtles and one snapper. Oh and a Rottweiler LOL. The box turtle is mean as all get out!! One of my sliders has scars on her neck from the box turtle. I wish I could get a mata-mata but they are $$$$.
    You always win. You always survive. Yeah. Those were the days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast