We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Need tips on pricing HITs

Need tips on pricing HITs

We are looking to source some of our testing to mTurk. Right now I am creating HITs that validate a single page, I would guess it could be done in 2-3 minutes when the turkers get into a rhythm.

What would be a good hit price to start at for testing out batches?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,409 Times in 2,077 Posts

Good workers won't work for less than $6/hr, which is 30 cents each. If you don't require brains to do it (heh) then I'd start at 5 cents each and then make sure to double check the accuracy of each HIT. If the work isn't great, bump it to 10. Repeat until you're getting the quality you want.
    It's all good.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Closed Account
    Thanks

Workers base everything on time, and how much money they can make for their time. So what I have found, is that workers will work a couple and time themselves to figure out what their wage per hour will be if they continue working these HITs. I have incorporated this logic into my method of pricing HITs.

When determining the price of a HIT I always follow the same routine. I figure out how long it takes me on average to complete one task. I then take that time, (for example 3 minutes per task), and divide it into 60 minutes to find out how many I can complete in an hour. In my example case, I can complete 20 in an hour.

The next step is to figure out how much you want to pay the worker per hour. A quick tip - As spamgirl mentioned above, quality workers will not work for less than minimum wage so make sure you plan that into your calculations. We want to pay our workers 10 dollars an hour, so I take 10 dollars divided by 20 tasks, which equals 50 cents. So, for a fair price for workers, I would price every HIT at 50 cents.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
    Sammie

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SammieCS For This Useful Post:

Thanks

These are great guildelines!

In my case, I try to release control over how much workers are being paid per hour. I try to allow the worker to determine that themselves. There is a baseline payment for completing the minimum requirements of each HIT. Workers who put more effort (which can be roughly measured) get paid more through bonuses.

This way workers can find the hourly wage that they are most comfortable with. In my experience there is (crucially) an acceptable correlation between quality and hourly rate.

This probably won't work for all (or even most) tasks. But it works for ours!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,409 Times in 2,077 Posts

The bottomline truth is that the hourly rate mTurk shows you that we're making is 100% wrong. Their system doesn't calculate it right, and it's typically much higher. On top of that, it doesn't take into account the time we spend accepting and submitting the HIT. Just wanted to mention that.

Letting it be up to us is important since we all have different speeds. For example, I've timed myself against other workers on certain HITs, and how quickly we do them VASTLY varied. You can never truly know the hourly rate for your HITs as each Turker has their own, which is why legislation for an online minimum wage is also impossible. Setting a price for your HITs based on what you think you should pay and then tweaking it to get the best quality and speed is the easiest way to go.
    It's all good.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Requester
    Thanks

It's been nearly 5 years since this thread has been touched. The hourly rates (however accurate) being discussed in 2011 ranged from $6-$10. What's the going rate in 2016 for crappy and quality work? Thanks.

I'd love to know the answer to this as well.

What is the going rate?

I get emails from MTurkers who say I'm generous, they find my transcripts interesting, and enjoy doing the work. So why is nobody picking up my HITs all of a sudden? I only reject the obvious ones who paste gibberish and completely unusable text. So I can only conclude that my rate is too low. What are other people paying for non-medical, non-legal-ese transcription work?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 1,195 Posts

Shoot for a minimum of 13 cents per minute. That will meet minimum wage and keep you safe from litigation which does and has occurred. Remember, to include time reading consent forms, instructions if not routine batch, etc..
    The things spamgirl posted earlier still apply.

Sometimes I forget to post the smiley.

Tools: * Panda Crazy scripts * Panda Crazy Help *
    * TurkAlert * Turkopticon * Turkmaster * HitScraper * Greasyfork *
    * Emergency Script and PandA Links *
    Contact Requesters: https://www.mturk.com/mturk/contact?requesterId=

Tags: * [hide][/hide] * :nevermind: * [spoiler][/spoiler] * [noparse][/noparse] *

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shawhall View Post
    I get emails from MTurkers who say I'm generous, they find my transcripts interesting, and enjoy doing the work. So why is nobody picking up my HITs all of a sudden? I only reject the obvious ones who paste gibberish and completely unusable text. So I can only conclude that my rate is too low. What are other people paying for non-medical, non-legal-ese transcription work?
    Generally, a one hour transcription will take about four hours to do so bare minimum would be $29 for an hour recording, and add more if the recording is difficult. For best results $60 for an hour recording will get you experienced, good workers who are not only more accurate, but faster also.
    Sometimes I forget to post the smiley.

Tools: * Panda Crazy scripts * Panda Crazy Help *
    * TurkAlert * Turkopticon * Turkmaster * HitScraper * Greasyfork *
    * Emergency Script and PandA Links *
    Contact Requesters: https://www.mturk.com/mturk/contact?requesterId=

Tags: * [hide][/hide] * :nevermind: * [spoiler][/spoiler] * [noparse][/noparse] *

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat-Tastrophe For This Useful Post: