Follow AudioKite on Turk Alert | Check out AudioKite's HITs on mTurk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why I do penny hits

what is the equivalent of the $1-$2 an hour hits for the worker in other countries. I am trying to make as much as I can. If I were to go to work outside the home over the summer time for 8 hours a day at minimum wage after I pay for daycare for two kids and gas for at least 40 miles round trip I would gross $2.50 an hour and If I had to drive my gas hog it would only be $1.83. When school starts back I would gross $6.25 an hour. I have found .$.04 hits that I can do quicker than the $.02 hits. If everyone wouldn't have given me some rates to think about I might still be trying to do them. If you think of it liked I detailed it out it makes since that I would bring home the same amount so why not do any hit available. The difference really is that when I work a $7.25 an hour minimum wage job I don't run the wage down for my co workers because I have more expenses to cover and end up with $2.50, it stays with me. I am trying to get the most money I can with very limited computer skills and It seems like I am able to keep myself busy not doing those slow low pay hits that the seasoned turkers advise us not to do.

Ive thought about doing the .05c hits from (blank) just to get my count up to >1000 so i have less restrictions on some of the better hits i see. Seeing as they all get approved super quick, and there a bit better then the .01 ones they're not to bad.

Closed Account
    I never had to resort to penny hits when I started. Maybe the landscape was different when I started -- in January 2011 -- but I never did one cent hits. I don't even remember there being much conversation about "bulking up" either. I wish they would all disappear. Even a one-click penny hit -- extremely rare -- falls below $6.00/hr. I hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyaamist View Post
    But, my question to you all is this... IF there is nothing else at the moment, isn't it better to be making a few pennies than nothing?
    While I think the original poster made an excellent point on doing the penny hits to increase approval rating over mass rejections, I often find it a waste of time to do penny hits. Some of those penny hits are tedious and they should pay a lot more than they do.

That's a great reason to do penny HITs but I've yet to find any of these that are actually worth the work. They're invariably too long to make them worthwhile.

I do penny HITS for lots of reasons, the main one being that I like the ones I do. If the day ever comes that there is a turker union, I'll be more than happy to give them up in support of higher wages for all, but we know that's never going to happen. Those turking to pay the rent should be glad that I'm busy doing those rather than 'stealing' the higher paying jobs from them.
    I've been turking long enough to remember (and miss) "Are these different" which broke two cardinal rules of turking - no penny HITS and no majority rules. Once I stopped being irritated by the unfair rejections, I learned to think of it as a game - can I figure out what the other guy is gonna say. It was totally a game, with my score being kept by rejections. It's no surprise those HITS aren't here anymore - majority HITS rules just invites scammers rather than returning reliable results, but the requesters haven't learned that lesson yet either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Flyfisher For This Useful Post:

As a hit and run Turker, I do the penny hits to keep stats up. A good day for me is $3-5 dollars, but that's as I only pop in for 5-10 minutes at a time while doing my job from the home office. Still, I'll only do ones that take a few seconds to do. There aren't many, but there are 4-5 requesters that take me less than 5-10 seconds a hit and have never rejected me. For me it's about the keeping the stats up just in case.

I am doing penny hits to get up over 1000 to qualify for more hits.

I did a couple (exactly 2) penny hits today because overall, I was really scraping the bottom of the barrel to even get to 20 hits today. I saw lot's of translations/stuff in foreign languages, hits not worth the time/money ratio, TOS violation stuff, and not much I qualified for. Slow day all around. But I was determined to get my minimum of 20, so I did two of them. That's the only time I'll bother.
    Last edited by Nyxalinth; 06-23-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Remember: Patience...Discipline.

I do penny hits regularly, I can't say I liked them because I don't, but they're like my "go-to" tasks. I guess it all goes down to what you think you're time is worth. There are good penny hits out there but the good ones disappears very quickly. The main reason why I do penny hits was to reach 1000 hits, now that I've reach that goal I'm gonna be more picky regarding hits. I also accept the fact that as long as there's someone willing to work for 2$/hr some of this very low paying are here to stay.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast