Follow AudioKite on Turk Alert | Check out AudioKite's HITs on mTurk

Thread: Turking "on the road?"

Question Turking "on the road?"

Hi all,

My goal in Turking is to build up a decent part-time income so that I can "retire" from full-time work in a few years. By then, I should have the Turking thing down pretty well and/or have other online freelance work lined up as well.

Hubby and I are planning on hitting the road in our RV (We are only 40... but we are "old souls" or something ). I want to be able to work online from my laptop while in various places.

Do you any of you do this? If so, what do you think is the best Internet setup? I'm thinking an air-card or something like what Verizon has? But I think it has data limits? I anticipate I'd be online at least 5 hours per day and I don't want to spend a fortune to be connected.

Any ideas?

I know that a lot of RV parks have free WIFI at least around here they do. Usually if you are in a bigger park they offer an internet hookup with your electric and such for a small fee every day. The RV park that we frequent has free wifi in their clubhouse and their coffee shop and its not uncommon for me to see people in there for an extended period of time doing work or what not. If you can afford it they do make keyboards for the Ipad and other tablets and some of those come with internet access over the cellphone networks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iambatman85 For This Useful Post:

Yes definitely be ready to use Wi-Fi as much as possible.

You may need a 3G something if you really want to work while riding shotgun. But you could just download writing assignments (or audio for transcription) at a wifi stop, do the work while offline on the road, and upload again (when you're done) at the next wifi stop.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

I gotta tell you, I'm travelling right now and have been using Wi-Fi for the last several days. If you don't have solid connections, be careful because mine has disconnected a lot and that's it for your hit. If you're doing long ones...1 hour or so, the hit will still be there for you in the HITS assigned to you. If it's short surveys or what not, they're gone unless you can re-connect right away. I've had 21 abandoned hits since using Wi-Fi. You might want to check with your cable company, ours offers a card for secure connections anywhere you go but they're pretty expensive and you have to have an account to get one. I've also heard commercials that phone companies are offering the same type card and I don't think you have to use them as your carrier in order to get one. Good luck with whatever you do, and happy trails!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grodgers For This Useful Post:

This is great info everyone - thanks! I'm planning on working only when stopped, so as long as I look for wi-fi parks I think that's better than paying for an expensive connection. I probably wouldn't make enough to pay for it! LOL!

I live out in the middle of a forest where there is no internet or cable available. I have been using an air card for about 6 years now and love it. I use
    Sprint because they have unlimited data all the time. As long as I have cell service I can use the internet. One thing I just found out about my
    daughter's Smartphone is you can upgrade the phone service and use the phone as a "mobile hotspot". She has a Sprint Optimus. The aircard is about 59 plus fees a month while the mobile hotspot is only 30 more and you do not need the aircard. I think you can hook 5 devices up to it at one time
    depending on the type of phone. When my contract is up for the aircard I'm switching phones and going with the mobile hotspot.

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I wanted to say how much this has helped me. I've been turking for a little over a week now and been wondering what I'm gonna do when we go on the road for 6 weeks like we do every summer. My husband is retired from 1 job and only putting in about 50 hours a week on another job he's soon to retire from....hopefully. We have just regular cell phones, nothing smart...not even us...lol but we'll need something soon. This helps with ideas