We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Turkers in the same house?

Thanks

2 Turkers in the same house?

Do you any of you have 2 (or more) people working MTurk in the same household? My hubby wants to create his own account so we would be on the same IP I assume. I'm thinking he would Turk day hours, while I typically Turk evening hours. But I'm sure sometimes we would be Turking at the same time (on 2 different accounts).

I didn't see reference to this in the MTurk policies, so my first reaction is that it would be ok.

Is anyone successfully doing this? Or have you been suspended because of doing this? Above all, I don't want to lose my account so I might be a little too paranoid and I'm afraid to do anything that is even questionable.

Edited to add... Uggh I think I put this in the wrong place. :headslap:
    Last edited by shellybean; 02-13-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks

Someone more experienced than I in these matters may want to weigh in, but my understanding is that if you are on different mturk accounts and they are connected to different bank accounts, you should be okay. My girlfriend has turked at my house a few times, and I've never encountered any problems.
    "Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after."
    -Anne Morrow Lindbergh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dblandon For This Useful Post:

Like the poster above said, my girlfriend and I occasionally turk from the same IP address and have encountered no problems (we have two different bank accounts). Because of the way IP addresses work, there's really no way for Amazon to "know" if the accounts are being run by ONE person, or two people. For example, if there were two people on my college campus turking right now, we would both be on the same IP address. Just make sure you use two different social security numbers and bank accounts!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amaeru For This Useful Post:

I'm honestly too scared to try it out. My brother and I have to go in intervals lol. He will turk some, then I will turk some. Both different accounts, going to separate bank accounts but I'm scared . But our case is a peculiar one. We're using a cell phone to tether and I'm not sure how much different that is compared to a normal connection. Even doing it our way it can be really frustrating because I will click on surveys and it will tell me I can't do them again because he has already done it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to c0rtez For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The college situation makes me feel better - they can't possibly base it soley on IP addys. We will have separate accounts and I'll make sure he uses his separate bank account, just to be extra safe.

I have seen some surveys that do use the IP to see who has taken it already. I guess he will be out on those cuz I think I've done pretty much every survey on there

Thanks everyone

Thanks

I contacted Mturk about this last April and this is the reply that I received:

"I am very sorry for any concern that having multiple working from the same IP may have caused you. If another member in your household wants to use the Mechanical Turk program, they're welcome to do so as long as they have their own e-mail address and bank account.

No single individual can have multiple accounts, but multiple individuals can work from the same IP address. If we find that multiple accounts are owned by the same person, we'll suspend the accounts.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for your interest in Mechanical Turk.
    "

I don't know if this is still their official policy, but my boyfriend has an account that he uses from the same IP as mine and we have never had a problem (knock on wood!) I keep a copy of the email I received from them in case we ever get suspended.

If I were you I would email customer service directly and ask them so that you also have a copy of their response in case of any future problems.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hypeline For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

My husband and I both work hits...We have two laptops, but one is VERY slow. So, sometimes we use the same computer. Mturk doesn't have a problem with it, but some of the requestors do. Some check IP addresses and reject what they see as duplicates. So, now we each print a daily list, so that we can make sure not to duplicate work on the fast computer. Amazon doesn't have a problem with multiple accounts in a household, as long as they are different people with different tax ids (ssn) and different bank accounts. He signed up only two weeks ago, and so far he's made about $100 doing surveys and misc. jobs. I made approximately $5 in my first month - go figure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mammapia For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Excellent, thank you all for your experiences! My girlfriend also wants to get into it a little bit, but we can make sure not to take the same HITs. Which is fine, since she wants to do transcription, and lately I just want to write and do cool research studies.

I am glad I read this thread. I have been trying to encourage my daughter to start turking, but this has been a bit of a concern since we would both be using my laptop at home though I can sometimes use my work computer during the daytime.

Yes, I think you will be fine. Just don't turk on vacation, though. Amazon has been known to suspend US workers who turk from a foreign IP address!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Squarix1 - Closed For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast