Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Worker Account Halted for 5 minutes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marceline View Post
    I often have multiple tabs open and I've never had a problem. If I'm not working for a specific requester, I usually open up a whole bunch of promising looking hits in a new tab and then scan through them to see what looks worthwhile.
    Same here. Never had that message.

What I do get occasionally is that it brings up the log in page when I try to accept a Hit (although I had been signed in already) and I have to sign in before I can accept it. Weird.

Closed Account
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,942 Times in 862 Posts

I don't think it has to do with open tabs. I have had untold numbers open at once. Firefox: "You are about to close 78 tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?" Yes, Firefox, I am sure.

I think it has something to do with clicking suspiciously. The only time I got the 5 minute dunce cap timeout was when I was working those speedy rohtzoid hits from a couple of months ago.
    Last edited by clark - Closed; 09-03-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Multiple tabs are fine. It's about the page requests to the server. Spammy mentioned it a few times on the old forum because some of the :askvillagepeople+: use an auto-refresher to see when the new hits go up. IIRC it was either every 2 seconds or .2 seconds. I get the time out all the time at the end of an NI batch. I'll be working and have 25 queued up and the last 8 or so will expire rapid-fire and trigger the timeout because the "expired" message pops up too quickly...

Yup, you got it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to librarian50 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadedStepWild View Post
    Multiple tabs are fine. It's about the page requests to the server. Spammy mentioned it a few times on the old forum because some of the :askvillagepeople+: use an auto-refresher to see when the new hits go up. IIRC it was either every 2 seconds or .2 seconds. I get the time out all the time at the end of an NI batch. I'll be working and have 25 queued up and the last 8 or so will expire rapid-fire and trigger the timeout because the "expired" message pops up too quickly...
    2 seconds is way too short you might get ban outright + you're killing your bandwidth and your ISP might even freak out and think you are doing a DOS attack on Mturk. The sweet spot is around 10 seconds.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to madhi19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Verto View Post
    Sometimes this will happen if you had a captcha appear each new tab opened counts as an attempt. So if you open the max attempts - you get halted for 5 minutes.
    Yep, this was the situation the only time I've ever received that warning. Otherwise, I've never had a problem with multiple tabs.

Thanks

Worker Account Halted???

I got this message a few minutes ago after accepting some Midwest/CroudSource HITs:

Worker Account Halted for 5 minutes
    Your account has been temporarily halted. This can happen when you repeatedly perform actions that indicate you are not abiding by the Participation Agreement. A halted account is unable to preview, accept, resume, or submit HITs. This halt will be automatically lifted by the system after 5 minutes.

Why?

I've done hundreds of their Break Down HITs and have often accepted numerous at once without getting this message. I only accepted 7 just now. What's up with this?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Never mind - I see this was discussed elsewhere but I don't know how to delete this thread.

nadiya turker
    Quote Originally Posted by indierose View Post
    I got this message a few minutes ago after accepting some Midwest/CroudSource HITs:

Worker Account Halted for 5 minutes
    Your account has been temporarily halted. This can happen when you repeatedly perform actions that indicate you are not abiding by the Participation Agreement. A halted account is unable to preview, accept, resume, or submit HITs. This halt will be automatically lifted by the system after 5 minutes.

Why?

I've done hundreds of their Break Down HITs and have often accepted numerous at once without getting this message. I only accepted 7 just now. What's up with this?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Never mind - I see this was discussed elsewhere but I don't know how to delete this thread.

It can happened when you are wrongly entering the captcha .

So enter the captcha carefully.

Thanks

I had it happen once without a captcha and paranoid me wrote them and they said not to worry about but try clearing my cookies or some standard thing like that.

It probably does put a flag on your account so if you get it a lot it might lead to trouble. I think that was the only time this year I got a halt in the past have a couple for missing the captcha but I usually am paying attention enough not to miss it that many times.

Thanks

I missed one letter in a captcha. Mine was grandmother. I guess missing one letter in an eleven letter word means you are bot.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast