Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crock pot recipes

Sometimes I throw a bottle of barbeque sauce in with some Dr. P (or Root Beer) with a bunch of chicken breasts and have BBQ chicken. I usually just throw things in for soup or stew. I actually use it to cook most of our meals.
    Life is interesting because there are things I’m bad at. It’s interesting to challenge those things, right? A person who was good at everything would be boring. It’s the spice that makes life fun.~Gackt

Best cookbook recipe books EVAR are written by Beth Hensperger... look for "Not Your Mothers Slow Cooker" recipe book to start. She has another one for "Family Favorites". Last summer/fall I cooked EXCLUSIVELY in my slow cooker because it was 115 degrees where I lived, in a mobile home... can you say SUCK?!

Anyway, I have made the BEST roasted chicken with potatoes and carrots, pork roasts, and awesome layered green chile enchiladas. I'm back at 4,500 feet so it doesn't get so hot but I still use my slow cooker at least once a week if not several times - I've even made banana bread and banana bread pudding in it.

Fave recipe, from memory:

1 whole chicken, pull out gizzardy stuff
    put half a chicken boullion cube (I use paste, so I stuck in some paste to taste )
    Squeeze a lemon over the chicken and insert half the lemon rind inside the cavity with some paprika
    cover the chicken with some more paste boullion or crumble the other half of the cube on top
    Sprinkle paprika, salt, pepper (I like to add celery salt)
    put in a buncha quartered red potatoes, onions, and carrots

Cook either on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4, I forget what temp to cook to but there should be no pink bits. It is uber tender, delicious, better than deli roasted, and I shred the leftovers for sammiches.

That cookbook also has a shredded barbecue chicken recipe that I LOVE LOVE LOVE and have used for roasted pork and chickens.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jumpingRabbit For This Useful Post:

tikuiaku
    Ooh, thanks for that recipe, jumpingRabbit. I sure don't cook, but my mother just got a Crock Pot for Christmas and your recipe looks pretty good, so I'll have to pass it on to her...

Thank you for all of the ideas. Hubby was going to get tired of bbq chicken and beans ( that's the only things I knew lol) Tikuiaku, the great thing about crock pots is that you don't have to know how to cook LOL

I also got a new crockpot for Christmas, and have to find some new recipes to try out. Thanks for the suggestions! When I used one in the past, my favorite was a pork stew recipe. You put in cubed pork, V-8 juice, and whatever veggies you wanted. I would use frozen peas, carrots, corn and some potatoes. The V-8 juice makes a great broth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Potatoe Soup
    8 Potatoes peeled and diced
    3 onions Diced
    1 Can Chicken Brooth
    1/8 t. Curry
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    2 Chicken Bullion Cubes
    1-1/2 Cups Milk

Throw everything into Crock pot and allow to cook all day. When Potatoes are done, and soup is thick...mash potatoes half way.

Fry a pack of bacon, and crumble up. Serve Bacon bits and gratted cheddar cheese on top of bowl of soup.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slund For This Useful Post:

slund, that sounds delicious and I have all of the stuff for it here. I am trying to empty our cabinets before I go shopping again

Quote Originally Posted by slund View Post
    Potatoe Soup
    8 Potatoes peeled and diced
    3 onions Diced
    1 Can Chicken Brooth
    1/8 t. Curry
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    2 Chicken Bullion Cubes
    1-1/2 Cups Milk

Throw everything into Crock pot and allow to cook all day. When Potatoes are done, and soup is thick...mash potatoes half way.

Fry a pack of bacon, and crumble up. Serve Bacon bits and gratted cheddar cheese on top of bowl of soup.

I am trying this today although we don't have curry powder or onions so I am going to have to find another way to season it.

Thanks

I got a new one yesterday via email from Betty Crocker. I won't be able to make it for a while, but I can't wait. It's for slow cooker lasagna. It's kind of broken up and has pictures, so it wasn't as simple as copying and pasting. I don't care for the sausage, but there are substitutions for that.

Here's the link for slow cooker lasagna : http://www.bettycrocker.com/tips/tip..._BC_01_12_2012

*If anybody tries it, please report back on how it turned out

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey For This Useful Post:

I do a vegetarian chili in mine. It's just crushed tomatoes, 3 kinds of beans, red bell peppers, onions, and a smoky bbq spice that I order from a place in Seattle. It's soooooo good. I make huge batches and freeze it, as it freezes well and is very inexpensive yet very healthy.

I also do baked beans from scratch, and a few soup recipes in my crock pot.

Way back when I ate meat, I used it to make pulled pork tenderloin bbq. The crock pot was definitely the way to go with an indoor bbq.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast