We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: *** IMPORTANT READ: HITs You Should NOT Do! ***

Thanks

This is the reason I found this site I was questing weather we should be bypassing security marks for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pishpot View Post
    This is the reason I found this site I was questing weather we should be bypassing security marks for someone else.
    ...uh, what does that mean again?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obfuscated For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pishpot View Post
    If you mean entering CAPTCHA codes onto a website or forum outside of Mturk, you shouldn't do those hits because they are most likely spammers.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sportscaster For This Useful Post:

Great, helpful information and boy is it ever timely. I just returned a hit that required the use of a plug-in that you have to download. I returned it...thank goodness

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aunice1 For This Useful Post:

Have an email address that you specifically use for Amazon Turk. Don't put information in the email address that can identify you. Use something like sportsfan829@yahoo.com. Also be sure not to use your account assigned to you by your ISP (like s.taylor2@comcast.com).

That way if you do get hit with SPAM, they don't know who you are.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Shackleford For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccfan View Post
    Have an email address that you specifically use for Amazon Turk. Don't put information in the email address that can identify you. Use something like sportsfan829@yahoo.com. Also be sure not to use your account assigned to you by your ISP (like s.taylor2@comcast.com).

That way if you do get hit with SPAM, they don't know who you are.
    You could do that. You could use mailinator. However, remember that asking for identifying info/email addresses is a violation of the TOS for Mechanical Turk. You should be reporting them via the little link on the bottom right of a HIT. There are some legitmate ones, but they are still in violation of the TOS. Typically if it is for an academic survey requester, I let them know in a message through mTurk. That rule is in place to help protect people's identities and reduce spam and scams. There is a legitimate way for a requester to contact you without your email. mTurk has a method for this and you will get the message in your email forwarded from mTurk. There is no reason for them to ask other than laziness, unawareness, ineptitude, OR malicious intent.

More info can be had in this thread:
    http://turkernation.com/showthread.p...rting-bad-hits!
    Laws of physics and mathematics are like a coordinate system that runs in only one dimension. Perhaps there is another dimension perpendicular to it, invisible to those laws of physics, describing the same things with different rules, and those rules are written in our hearts, in a deep place where we cannot go and read them except in our dreams.
    --Neal Stephenson The Diamond Age

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wbr For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Tons of awesome tips!!! I just hope I can remember it all lol.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hennamom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for this! It was very helpful, I had been wondering about scams.

Thanks

Two things

I have had legitimate university surveys have an email field at the end of the survey, asking to followup/put you in a prize drawing. Should these be reported?

Asking for zip codes is always prohibited, right? I have seen this a lot as well. What can they do with a zip code?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to turkeyjerky For This Useful Post:

I have no idea what they do with your demographics unless it's seeing how many people in an area think this way. I'm not too afraid of handing out my zip. To me, it's the same as handing out my city or state.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast