Do not do any HITs that involve:
- ONLY filling in a CAPTCHA with NO other questions, i.e. the HIT is obviously intended to automate CAPTCHA entry
- test zip code
- free trial
- click my link
- any HIT that involves sending a text message
- any HIT that involves entering your personal information
- any HIT that asks you for your credit or debit card number, or banking information!!!!!!!!!!!
- any HIT that asks you to download anything (see below)
- SEO work (see below)
- marketing (see below)
DO NOT DO anything that asks for any personal information at all - even your zip code. If you feel in your gut it's not on the level, IT'S NOT. Why? Because they are scams and you will not get paid for your work. Worse, your personal information will be used to send you spam, or steal your identity, or bill you fraudulently.
On top of that, anything SEO related;
- click my link
- post on my site
- comment on my post
- post on twitter/facebook/digg/stumble/technorati/etc.
- post on a forum, blog or website
On top of that, anything marketing related;
- call people and tell them about my company
- send mail/email about my company
- put up flyers for my company
- anything listed in the SEO list above
- Posting on craigslist, kijiji, forums, even your own blog is a no-no as well.
Why? Because it is against mTurk's Terms of Service (TOS).
- Putting someone's button, widget, etc. on your blog/site.
Why? You never know what they might change it to, it could load a trojan or promote something unsavory.
- DO NOT DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE TO TEST unless the HIT is by a requester listed with a smiley face in the Hall of Fame/Shame OR it's listed here:
Safe downloads list:
Why? Because it could have a virus, which is difficult to detect and once installed on your computer likely impossible to determine the source of the infection.
- Being paid for a review or rating is also against the TOS.
Why? Because it's wrong. Remember Belkin?
In fact, it is my personal recommendation that you ONLY complete HITs for requesters listed in the Hall of Fame/Shame with a smiley face.
Why? Because new requesters can mass reject all HITs completed, abandon their account, and create a new one. They take the work done and you don't get paid AND get a terrible reject rate to boot.