We need help getting enough package purchases to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: How do workers feel about HITs requiring Inquisit software?

How do workers feel about HITs requiring Inquisit software?

Hi guys,

I'm a requester who administers the studies for an academic research lab.

I have been asked to run a study that requires the installation of Inquisit software for the duration of the HIT to complete because it involves an 'Implicit Association Task' and measurements are more accurate via the program than online Javascript versions.

I feel a little conflicted about this, since trying the study myself the software takes time to download and is a bit buggy (e.g. on first try it didn't install right on my laptop, and I've seen similar complaints across Turker forums/reddit). I intend to give Turkers advance warning of the requirement and also to reassure them that we are not interested in collecting any other private data.

However, my questions are:

1. Would you take a HIT that required using this software?
    2. How much advance warning would you like? Should it be flagged in the HIT advertisement, on the study landing page, both?
    3. Is there anything specifically that you would want to know as a worker? e.g. would providing additional info make you feel more/less confident in the HIT.
    4. Do workers have much experience with the software and if so how do you feel about it?

We are a genuine research lab, with no interest in collecting personal identifying information, but I understand that this is a sensitive issue and that some workers will have concerns about privacy/technology issues not to mention general cost/benefit issues. Any comments/advice on how such issues can be addressed and potentially overcome from a worker perspective is welcome.

Hello CKavanagh,
    I have no problem with HITs that use Inquisit. However, other workers won't do HITs that use it. Inquisit, as you found out, sometimes does not play nice with some computers. It works fine for me and I would not hesitate to do the HIT, provided it pays fairly for the time it takes. I leave it installed and have never had a problem.
    Personally, I think you should let workers know right in the HIT description that workers can see before they accept the HIT.
    I don't really have any suggestions as to how the issues can be overcome, except paying an above average reward. That might make it worth it to some workers.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to librarian50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 45,338 Times in 12,538 Posts

Hi CKavanagh.

1. I will not use Inquisit under any circumstances. The software is buggy and makes my computer throw up. I have to reboot if I use it.
    2. If you use it, please flag it in the hit advertisement so I know not to bother.
    3. Many researchers have Implicit Association Tasks which do NOT use Inquisit and have nothing to download. I like these and have no problem with the alternatives.
    Good luck with your research.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to carolyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,472 Times in 758 Posts

Morning CKavanagh,

I personally have no problem with Inquisit, but I know others do. Some requesters do use alternatives, but I’ve no idea which ones - perhaps ask in the Requesters area of the forum? Thank you for asking

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thegrinder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi CKavanagh

I've done quite a few Inquisit hits, and have not had any issues. I'm always on the lookout for Inquisit hits as they pay well and are fairly easy to complete. That's my experience.

Definitely post in the hit description so workers know upfront that it's an Inquisit hit before accepting it.

It's not a bad idea to also post on the study landing page.

Always provide turkers with as much info as possible regarding the hit. We appreciate it.

I believe increasing the pay rate will attract more workers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nancydent For This Useful Post:

I use it but it is a PITA sometimes. Once it's running it's usually fine though.

Thanks

I do studys all the time using Inquisit software and have never had an issue. I will occasionally go and delete earlier downloaded versions, but always have the latest version left installed to make starting Hits using Inquisit faster.

Thanks

I would think that if Use/Download of Inquisit Software were in the initial instructions for the Hit on the Hits List page you would get workers that are comfortable with your forum and those that choose not to download software, programs, apps, etc will not participate and no negative reviews from them if they feel surprised or annoyed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OML For This Useful Post: