We are no where close to paying our June server bill. If you can help, please do! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: New requester seeking feedback on a series of HITs

Requester
    Thanks

New requester seeking feedback on a series of HITs

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie requester looking to get some feedback on a series of HITs for identifying and labeling forum/blog/Q&A sites. Early prototypes of the HITs (on the worker sandbox) are up at:

HIT #1: Identify forum sites:
    https://workersandbox.mturk.com/proj...UORCVUY6/tasks
    This is a simple single question with instructions. I've got keyboard shortcuts for the options for easy completion. Would it be helpful to have the site itself in an iframe so it displays inline? Or is it better as a link that opens in a new tab/window?

HIT #2: Find forum root:
    https://workersandbox.mturk.com/proj...NFP58UX5/tasks
    This is a text box entry, again after looking at and manipulating a website. Same question about iframe vs. link as before. Also, is it clear enough what I mean by forum "root"? Would some examples help?

HIT #3-5: Label index/thread/post pages:
    https://workersandbox.mturk.com/proj...2NT5YV02/tasks
    https://workersandbox.mturk.com/proj...3QX6ZUZX/tasks
    https://workersandbox.mturk.com/proj...QU9VUVUZ/tasks
    These involve a custom Javascript overlay that walks you through labeling several (~20) fields on a webpage. I'm most concerned about the granularity of these HITs - I know that it's best to break HITs up into individual tasks that can be completed quickly, but in these cases, the later stages are dependent upon what's selected in early stages, and I can use software to reduce the amount of work the Turker has to do or improve the error-checking on their input. (For example, if no categories are selected, it should hide the request to label category fields, and the set of legal click targets for the field is modified by the items selected in earlier stages.) Are these too daunting & long? Should I break them up so that each "stage" is a separate HIT, moving some of the software logic that's currently in the Javascript to the server? So that each individual labeling task is a separate HIT? Or is it more convenient to be able to click through a number of fields at once all on the same document?

I'm also interested in feedback on wording, instruction clarity, UI, and pricing, if you have any opinions on those. I'll likely change the color scheme to match the default templates and add some example screenshots in the future.

Thanks for any input!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,030 Times in 3,687 Posts

Welcome to Turker Nation!

Since you're a Requester, you should respond to the private message Spamgirl has sent you titled "URGENT! Please read!" so that you can get full access to the forum. Thanks!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

Thanks

my preference is for links to open in a new tab or window so I can move it to my second monitor - that makes it easier for me to reference as I work

and if these could be open to Canada, that'd be awesome!

*** Forum Supporter ***
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,116 Times in 2,671 Posts

#1 - I agree that it's easier to have it open in a new window
    #2 - the language is pretty clear, but I would err on the side of always giving examples
    #3 - 5 - I can't see these, but speaking for myself I don't mind more intricate hits, particularly if you're walking workers through it.

Requester
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by thehoncho View Post
    and if these could be open to Canada, that'd be awesome!
    I'd only submitted a limited number of HITs (2) to the worker sandbox with this design, and it looks like someone had accepted them and so it was showing up as "no hits available". I've added a bunch more - it's all dummy data now, to test out the labeling interface - so hopefully that'll last a while. Also had to fix a bug on my end, which'll likely not be the last - this is just a rough cut to get feedback before polishing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie The Robot View Post
    Welcome to Turker Nation!

Since you're a Requester, you should respond to the private message Spamgirl has sent you titled "URGENT! Please read!" so that you can get full access to the forum. Thanks!
    That's the one with the form linking my Amazon ID to the forum identity, right? I submitted that concurrently, and just read Spamgirl's reply. I'll head over to the Introductions thread shortly...is this forum okay for this discussion, or should it be moved to "Everything Else"?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,030 Times in 3,687 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pilazza View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

I'd only submitted a limited number of HITs (2) to the worker sandbox with this design, and it looks like someone had accepted them and so it was showing up as "no hits available". I've added a bunch more - it's all dummy data now, to test out the labeling interface - so hopefully that'll last a while. Also had to fix a bug on my end, which'll likely not be the last - this is just a rough cut to get feedback before polishing it up.

That's the one with the form linking my Amazon ID to the forum identity, right? I submitted that concurrently, and just read Spamgirl's reply. I'll head over to the Introductions thread shortly...is this forum okay for this discussion, or should it be moved to "Everything Else"?
    Thank you!

I'm not actually sure where the best place is. @spamgirl would know.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!