We did not have enough package purchases to pay our July server bill. Please help us get enough for August! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Timed out

Timed out

I am new to this. Is it better to submit your hit even though you know you are going to be timed out? Or just let it time out and let it go?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,942 Times in 4,010 Posts

I don't understand the question. How can you submit it off it's timed out? Or do you mean to submit before it times out, with your id and a promise? That would depend on how risk adverse you are.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

Yes, I was doing some transcribing and I knew that I would be timed out. It was not going well. I didn't know rather to submit it being only partly done or just let it time me out. I let it time me out.
    They have my ID, but I don't know how I would have promised them that I would finish it ?? I mean. I would have finished it if I could have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    Yes, I was doing some transcribing and I knew that I would be timed out. It was not going well. I didn't know rather to submit it being only partly done or just let it time me out. I let it time me out.
    They have my ID, but I don't know how I would have promised them that I would finish it ?? I mean. I would have finished it if I could have.
    In that case you can't submit. If you can't finish in time, you might as well return it. If it's an of site survey, you can submit with a promise and send them the code later. This can result in rejection. I am risk adverse, so I open the contact form and let it expire. After I finish, I send them the code and hope that they take pity on me and create a comp HIT.

If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie The Robot View Post
    In that case you can't submit. If you can't finish in time, you might as well return it. If it's an of site survey, you can submit with a promise and send them the code later. This can result in rejection. I am risk adverse, so I open the contact form and let it expire. After I finish, I send them the code and hope that they take pity on me and create a comp HIT.

Thank you for answering me. But if you just return it and don't finish it. How do you send them the code ??

Thanks

Thank you for answering me. But if you just return it and don't finish it. How do you send them the code ??
    You wouldn't. I'm not sure I understand the question. Let me try again.

There are 2 different kinds of HITs. Those which are done entirely within the HIT frame (in frame HITs) and those which are mainly performed on another site (off site.) Off site HITs give you a link and when you are finished, you usually submit a code to verify your completion.

If you time out of an in frame HIT, there is no hope. Your data is gone. You might as well return it as cut your losses. You will not be paid. If you submit it unfinished, you room a very high risk of rejection. It would not be easy for the requester to have you finish the HIT.

If you time out of an off site HIT, your data is still on the site. You could risk rejection by entering a promise instead of the code and sending them a message containing the code after you complete the HIT. I've heard that most of the time it's fine. I don't risk rejection, I prefer to risk wasting my time. So, I message with the code without submitting. This makes more work for the requester and I only get paid half the time or less. However, I don't have any rejections.

So, I only know of one kind of HIT. When I sign on to Amazon Mturk. there are HITS.
    Where are the "Off site" HITS ??

Thanks

So, I only know of one kind of HIT. When I sign on to Amazon Mturk. there are HITS.
    Where are the "Off site" HITS ??
    Those are the ones which only contain some info, a link and a box to enter the code. (They might also have a box for comments and possibly questions for future quals.) The work for the HIT is performed on another web page. These are usually surveys and studies they sometimes require you to download a plugin called, Inquisit. You click the link, complete the survey, receive the code and enter it into the box. Then you submit the HIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie The Robot View Post
    Those are the ones which only contain some info, a link and a box to enter the code. (They might also have a box for comments and possibly questions for future quals.) The work for the HIT is performed on another web page. These are usually surveys and studies they sometimes require you to download a plugin called, Inquisit. You click the link, complete the survey, receive the code and enter it into the box. Then you submit the HIT.

OK. Thank you so much for your help !!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gail For This Useful Post: