We are halfway to hitting our goal of paying the monthly server bill on May 1.
This is the second month in a row we've been short. If you can help, please do!
Click the thermometer to learn more.

Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Outside Criticism for Turking

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 467 Posts

Outside Criticism for Turking

Anyone else catch flak for wanting to Turk for a living? I'm currently the sole provider for my 17 month old daughter and am currently looking to make just bare minimum to cover bills. Even as a complete noob here I see that as possible if I can put in roughly 3 hrs (actually concentrating/no distractions) a day (need roughly $8/day). I'm getting told that I need something "more stable", something with set hours and pay. There's a lot of factors in play here in my particular case, but I'm less than a week into this and I'm already getting frustrated by the criticism(aka family).
    -I love the time/flexibilty
    -I love the variety of tasks available
    -I love that if I need to pause to take care of my kid, I can
    -I like that pay (for the most part) is pretty immediate
    -I love that I don't have to 'people' like I did when I worked retail
    There are so many other benefits I could list, but my Chromebook is dying.

Please tell me, am I being an irresponsible parent here or should I just avoid the criticisms and keep on turking?

*Didn't know if this was the right place to post this so if it's not...sorry. Still new here.

I'm new to turking also, but I think its great that you'll be able to make enough money and be able to stay home with your daughter. That's something you will never regret, no matter what they're saying. I think once they see you're making money they'll come around. My family laughed about it when I told them about mturk too but now that I'm making some money they're asking more questions about it and about what type of tasks I do.

Actually you'll need about 7-10 hours per day to make that much. And you can do whatever the fuck you want. Good thing this is coming from relative who you can just ignore their sociopathy rather then from people who actually mattered like friends.

What? You do realize she said $8 a day right? I make $25 in four hours. There's no way it would take that long for $8, even for a newbie.

Not in the same boat as you, but I've dealt with a little here and there. My family thinks I'm simply doing this for 'fun money' or to have a bit extra towards trips and such. Which honestly that's what I was doing at first and to help pay down some debt. Now that I think I can make a pretty good go at this. Especially as other things have popped up that we need to find someway of covering. I've been getting more "just go and get an actually job if you need to", but then I tell my mom about how much I can actually do from it and she's slowly coming around. Now of course some days are really good and other days aren't.

You list very valid points in reasons why this is a good fit for you.
    I think if you believe you can do this and this is what you are wanting. Keep on trying and working on it and show those people up.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,101 Posts

I get it from my family too but I make a decent amount on here and they just shutty their pie holes when I show them my earnings. Keep it up and catch a few good quals and you do you.
    Turkin since 5/10/2017

Monthly goal: $791.45/$1,000