We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Extra hits but not charged?

Extra hits but not charged?

Every time I've run surveys on Mturk I get extra hits that aren't charged by Mturk. For example, if I set the survey up to get 50 hits, I'll get back 54-- why? Is there something wrong with these extra hits? Can I trust the data for the extra 4?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 2,378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by New_requester View Post
    Every time I've run surveys on Mturk I get extra hits that aren't charged by Mturk. For example, if I set the survey up to get 50 hits, I'll get back 54-- why? Is there something wrong with these extra hits? Can I trust the data for the extra 4?
    Are you rejecting HITs? If so, they get put back on the site as new and you'll get new submissions.
    It's all good.

No, not rejecting hits. I do exclude workers who have previously taken the survey, but this still wouldn't explain why there would be extra hits (and those extra hits/subjects complete the survey)

Can workers see the link for the survey without accepting the hit? It could be that workers do the survey but forget to accept the hit first, submit the survey, and then when they realize it and try to accept the hit, there are no more available, so you basically got their work for free. It could also be that workers, for whatever reason, returned the hit or didn't accept the hit. Sometimes hits are returned by mistake (clicked the wrong button), and then they can't be accepted again. Also, in this case, I believe there is no way to contact the requester to let them know, unless you have worked for them before and have their email address (sometimes requesters will set up a "dummy hit" to pay workers who do return a hit by mistake). Hope this is helpful!
    Once upon a timey wimey....We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    Can workers see the link for the survey without accepting the hit? It could be that workers do the survey but forget to accept the hit first, submit the survey, and then when they realize it and try to accept the hit, there are no more available, so you basically got their work for free. It could also be that workers, for whatever reason, returned the hit or didn't accept the hit. Sometimes hits are returned by mistake (clicked the wrong button), and then they can't be accepted again. Also, in this case, I believe there is no way to contact the requester to let them know, unless you have worked for them before and have their email address (sometimes requesters will set up a "dummy hit" to pay workers who do return a hit by mistake). Hope this is helpful!
    Thanks for your reply. Perhaps they are forgetting to accept the hit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to New_requester For This Useful Post: