Our server bill is due soon and we need your help in paying it. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Poor rewards and receipt HITs

Poor rewards and receipt HITs

Hi,

I hope it's OK to ask two questions in one post.

1. I just joined and thought it would be a good way to make a little extra money. Well, "little" is right. I can't believe how not worth it doing just about any hit is. 20 cents to create 10 questions. 55 cents to transcribe 1:32 of audio. 20 cents to record five videos. Etc. Etc.

Seriously? Please tell me there is more to this. Or is this it? I mean, just reading the long instructions for these take a lot longer than I'm willing to spend for the money being paid, let alone doing the task itself.

2. Of course typing out what they want from shopping receipts is also not worth it, but here's what I want to know about these: Some just say to type in the phone number, or the address of the store etc. But wouldn't it be easier for these people to type in this data themselves and be done with it rather than scanning it, uploading it, creating instructions and posting it to the site? This seems colossally stupid.

Thanks,
    Scott

Admin and Forum Support Rosie The Robot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,047 Times in 4,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottl31 View Post
    Hi,

I hope it's OK to ask two questions in one post.

1. I just joined and thought it would be a good way to make a little extra money. Well, "little" is right. I can't believe how not worth it doing just about any hit is. 20 cents to create 10 questions. 55 cents to transcribe 1:32 of audio. 20 cents to record five videos. Etc. Etc.

Seriously? Please tell me there is more to this. Or is this it? I mean, just reading the long instructions for these take a lot longer than I'm willing to spend for the money being paid, let alone doing the task itself.

2. Of course typing out what they want from shopping receipts is also not worth it, but here's what I want to know about these: Some just say to type in the phone number, or the address of the store etc. But wouldn't it be easier for these people to type in this data themselves and be done with it rather than scanning it, uploading it, creating instructions and posting it to the site? This seems colossally stupid.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Welcome to Turker Nation!

Join us in the Daily HITs thread, that's where you will learn!

About those receipts, they are scanned in by app users and usually read by bots. When the bots can't read them, or they are still being trained, they have humans help. Some of the apps which use mTurk are Ibotta, 51 Checkout and Receipt Hog.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 47,712 Times in 13,077 Posts

Hi scottl31. Welcome to our forum. You will learn a lot here. Doing receipts is not very lucrative. Come see us on the Daily Hit Thread, posted each morning. We give you clues to hits that are better. Also, as you have more approved hits while maintaining a high approval rating, you will see new more lucrative hits open up. We are not going to kid you. This is not easy work and money is not free. But you can do okay if you are willing to learn,

The only way to make a decent amount most of the time is to do the HITs which are surveys. Since you need to have above 1000 to see some HITs, there are certain ones you can do to increase your numbers quickly, which are better then the others. One example of this is HITs by p9r. No HUT that pays 1¢ is ever worth it since it takes longer then that just to load the page, but p9r are not that bad in payment compared to other mass-HITs that you can see. For p9r you can either do the 3¢ ones, which do not pay enough for the 6+ boxes they have per HIT but aren't the worst possible thing you could do either, or you can choose the 4¢ and 5¢ versions, in which case the pay is okay but you will often see the "medial transcription" that you will either have to fill out wasting a lot of time, or skip the HIT which interferes with the flow of filling them. Most if the reasonable pay HITs are surveys, but occasionally you will see something else, or you can choose one if the nearly-always-available standards.

The receipt HITs come from apps like the one at this link

https://ibotta.com/r/5kuupw

, which pay you for buying certain items at the grocery store. The user uploads a picture of the receipt do that they can get paid for that item. The company uses robots to post the images to mturk, asking you if the item they said they bought is actually on the receipt.

Admin and Forum Support Rosie The Robot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,047 Times in 4,333 Posts

Surveys are not the only way to make decent money. I know plenty of people who make very decent money from batches.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!