We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Requestor needing advice on pricing

Requester
    Thanks

Requestor needing advice on pricing

Hi Turkers, I'm a newbie on these forums but looking for advice on how to fairly compensate for an HIT I'm planning. Specifically, the task would be to take the text of a cooking recipe, highlight the text that corresponds to the ingredients and then highlight the text that corresponds to the instructions. As an example, taking the following recipe text:

---
    One Pan Roasted Garlic Potatoes, Asparagus, and Sausage
    Roasted garlic and herb potatoes, asparagus, carrots, onions, and sausage all prepared on one sheet pan. An easy
    family-friendly meal.
    Course
    Cuisine
    Dinner
    American
    Prep Time
    Cook Time
    Total Time
    10 minutes
    35 minutes
    40 minutes
    Servings
    Calories
    4 people
    424 kcal
    Ingredients
    1 pound baby red potatoes
    8 ounces (1/2 of a 16-ounce bag) petite baby carrots
    1 teaspoon of EACH dried basil, dried thyme, dried oregano, and paprika
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    Salt and cracked pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil separated
    8 ounces (2 cups) asparagus
    1/2 large yellow onion
    1 package (13 ounces) skinless smoked sausage (we use turkey sausage)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    Optional: fresh parsley
    Instructions
    1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a very large sheet pan with parchment paper or foil for easier
    clean-up (optional).
    2. Halve the baby red potatoes (or cube if they are larger). In a small bowl, mix together all of the
    seasonings: the dried basil, thyme, oregano, paprika, onion powder, and salt + pepper (I use a heaping
    3. Place the halved red potatoes and baby carrots on the sheet pan. Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil and half of
    4. Meanwhile, prepare the asparagus by trimming the ends and cutting into 2 inch pieces. Thinly slice the
    5. Remove the potatoes and carrots from the oven and using a spatula push them to one side of the pan. On
    1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper). Mix together.
    the seasoning mix on top. Toss to combine and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
    yellow onion. Coin the sausage
    he other side add in the chopped asparagus, sliced onion, sausage, and minced garlic. Add the
    remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and remaining seasoning mix. Toss to combine and then toss those
    ingredients with the potatoes and carrots.
    6. Bake for anot
    10-15 minutes or until veggies are roasted to your desired preference. Top the dish
    her
    with freshly grated parmesan and fresh parsley as desired
    7. Enjoy immediately
    10/29/17, 9:39 AM
    Page 1 of 2
    https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/wprm print/20097
    ---

For ingredients, the Turker would highlight the lines beginning with "1 pound baby red potatoes" and ending with "Optional: fresh parsley", and then for the instructions, the Turker would highlight the lines beginning with "1. Preheat the oven..." and ending with "7. Enjoy immediately".

What would you all consider fair for this task? Thanks so much for your advice!

Chris

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ceehart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,315 Times in 3,452 Posts

Please write to @spamgirl to have her give you a requester account.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,688 Times in 1,607 Posts

Is it just one recipe per HIT? is it a highlight per line or one highlight for each part? How long do you think it would take? Turkers will actively shun work that pays less then 10 cents a minute, and many expect at least 15 cents a min.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cireasfire For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cireasfire View Post
    Is it just one recipe per HIT? is it a highlight per line or one highlight for each part? How long do you think it would take? Turkers will actively shun work that pays less then 10 cents a minute, and many expect at least 15 cents a min.
    For me the ease of the work would allow a low rate of pay.

The pricing rule of thumb that I generally give to requesters is to estimate how long you think the hit would take and add 1 minute (Added because this is your hit and you will do it faster than anyone else will be able to). Then calculate the per minute rate of the US Federal minimum wage to get a per minute rate. Then add two cents per mouse click required to do the job.

So, if the hit is estimated to take 2 minutes and would require 7 mouse clicks (6 for the hit and one to submit) then the rate per hit would look something like this.

725 (US Fed min. wage in cents) / 60 (seconds) = ~12 cents per minute.

(~12 [cents per minute] x 2 [minutes]) + (2 [cents per click] x 7 [clicks]) = $0.38 [cents per hit]

I would also strongly encourage you to create a qualification test or a small batch of qualification hits, the successful completion of which would award workers the ability to work on your hits. Doing this will help ensure that you get quality results and not individuals that don't care about rejections and just submit shoddy work in the hopes of getting paid. Including the Auto Approval time in your hit's description will also go a long way toward helping users decide whether or not to do your hits.

Hope that helps, and thank you for asking for worker input.

If you're doing 1 recipe per HIT and it's exactly as you described, I think $.05 would be slightly low but equate well with just highlighting two sections and submitting the HIT. Anywhere from $.06 to $.10 would be generous.

If you're doing more than 1 recipe per HIT multiply it accordingly so 10 recipes doing that $.50 would be generous I suppose and you could probably bring it down to $.25 - $.40 to budget.

It also depends on how many recipes you need highlight-separated and how many you are thinking of doing per HIT.

JMO