We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Worker IDs, survey codes, rejections, Masters, and more

Exclamation Worker IDs, survey codes, rejections, Masters, and more

I'm a brand new Turker with just 3 tasks under my belt so far but never had to enter my ID # in any Requester's interface. Why not? Do specific types of tasks require Turker IDs more often than others? Will it happen when I attain 'Master Qualification" level (whatever the heck that is)? Tnx in advance for all helpful feedback and pleased to 'meet' you here

Thanks
    Thanked 7,085 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CLuckeyJD View Post
    I'm a brand new Turker with just 3 tasks under my belt so far but never had to enter my ID # in any Requester's interface. Why not? Do specific types of tasks require Turker IDs more often than others? Will it happen when I attain 'Master Qualification" level (whatever the heck that is)? Tnx in advance for all helpful feedback and pleased to 'meet' you here
    Mostly surveys, so they can connect your answers on a third party survey host to your HIT to know to approve it. If you're not doing surveys, then you likely won't have been asked.
    It's all good.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the fast reply. Is that why a JoAny healthcare survey I did got rejected by the Requester who sent a PM asking for a unique code that's supposed to display on the last survey page. No such code ever showed up, although I got several auto-emailed confirmation messages. But when I tried to attach them to a PM for Requester's perusal, my efforts met repeated stubborn refusal by your system to not only allow file uploads for attachment but an error message displayed indicating failure to send even the text!

An mTurk rep advised by trouble ticket email reply that she needs the Requester's ID # that's not found anywhere on my dashboard. As added insult to injury, this particular HIT was my highest paying yet of all 3 submitted thus far!

Thanks

Thanks for the fast reply. Is that why a JoAny healthcare survey I did got rejected by the Requester who sent a PM asking for a unique code that's supposed to display on the last survey page. No such code ever showed up, although I got several auto-emailed confirmation messages. But when I tried to attach them to a PM for Requester's perusal, my efforts met repeated stubborn refusal by your system to not only allow file uploads for attachment but an error message displayed indicating failure to send even the text!

An mTurk rep advised by trouble ticket email reply that she needs the Requester's ID # that's not found anywhere on my dashboard. As added insult to injury, this particular HIT was my highest paying yet of all 3 submitted thus far!
    Unique codes are different. If you have a survey where there is no code (and it's more frequent than we'd like :/ ), paste in your Worker ID and immediately contact the Requester to let them know. It's also good to copy/paste some unique text from the last page of the survey, like the part that usually says "Thanks for completing this survey" and including it in the email as proof you got to the end.

Another thing I'd recommend is marking down their email address from the Informed Consent they provide at the beginning of the survey, or the debrief at the end, if the survey includes them. The mTurk messaging system isn't very useful if you want to include attachments.

You can get the Requesters ID by going to the Dashboard, then clicking Contact the Requester to the right of the HIT that was rejected. In the page that comes up (Contact the Requester) you can get their ID from the URL, just look for "requester_id=" and copy the letters/numbers (starting with A) between = and &. That's their ID.

That said, mTurk won't help you out, they refuse to mediate rejections. Instead, I'd recommend finding the Requester on your own. You can use their Requester name to search for them, then contact them directly. That'll probably work better than any other option.
    It's all good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks again for a prompt reply. But why won't Amazon intervene for "team" members if they get gypped by requesters who don't pay AFTER service has been rendered? It would seem that lack of support creates a big disincentive to finish any gig listed. Not to mention severely diminish Amazon's own credibility. What's to stop requesters from using excellent work free of charge at Turkers' expense? (Just wanna know what I might be getting myself into and how to avoid con artists like the plagues they truly are).

On another more pleasant note, what is 'Master' Qualification and how to attain it ASAP?

Tnx once more in advance

Thanks

They don't want the legal responsibility, I think. For them, they built mTurk, and don't want to work any harder than they have to on it. Requesters frequently reject work just to be able to get their money back AND keep the work at the same time. It's wage theft, and it's built into the system.

How to avoid con artists is by using this site and Turkopticon to check out Requesters before you work for them. Until you get more approvals under your belt and build up a "buffer space" so you can handle a few rejections here and there, you have to be as careful as possible - so always check a Requester's rating before you work for them (unless they're recommended here, then you can be pretty sure they're good.)

Amazon refuses to answer how you get Masters, but I believe it comes from doing a large batch of HITs for a specific Requester (it could be an Amazon account, or a non-Amazon account, as they can access the results of every HIT posted to the site). I'd say it's also from doing them well, but people who have been suspended have received Masters, and people with lots of rejections, so basically, it's luck and random. Masters has been handed out very rarely (less than once a year) lately, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Sorry for the bad news.
    It's all good.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 3,043 Posts

I'm confused by this. The requester sent a PM? What does that mean? There is no system in mTurk where a requester can send a private message to a worker.

And why do you say that our system does not allow attachments? Do you mean mTurk? Or do you mean Turker Nation? I can't understand getting an error message on mTurk for attempting to upload an attachment, since there is no way to do so. I'm also not understand the reference to auto emailed confirmation messages. It sounds more like something that would happen here, rather than mTurk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 3,043 Posts

Is this the same requester?
    https://turkopticon.ucsd.edu/reports?id=AV7NN3TUZQB9I

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!