We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Turkmaster on new Mturk interface

Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 523 Posts

Need help with Turkmaster on new Mturk interface

Hi one and all,

Due to deteriorating health, I've not been able to turk much lately. And the new interface isn't helping any. Turkmaster was extremely helpful, but with the new interface, I'm no longer able to accept HITs using the PandA method on Turkmaster (if you know what I mean). It works fine for watching group HITs (like Watcher for group HITs worth at least $0.20, etc.). So far, it's working fine even for watching individual Requesters. So far. But as soon as I add a new individual HIT Watcher, the script stops working. The Auto-accept, Stop on Accept, Alert function is no longer working on Turkmaster (specifically for individual HIT Watchers). If anyone knows of a solution to this, please reply.

I'm aware of some other scripts but I'm used to Turkmaster. Besides, I'm a bit technically impaired and it'll be difficult to get the same amount of satisfaction using other scripts like PandaCrazy, etc. Not that they're not helpful, it's just that they're difficult for me to get a grip on.

I understand that I may not have conveyed everything up to the mark here, but I've tried my better. Hope someone might understand and be able to help. Thank you.
    Life is full of disappointments, and I am full of life!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to feb1user For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 107,904 Times in 32,236 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by feb1user View Post
    Hi one and all,

Due to deteriorating health, I've not been able to turk much lately. And the new interface isn't helping any. Turkmaster was extremely helpful, but with the new interface, I'm no longer able to accept HITs using the PandA method on Turkmaster (if you know what I mean). It works fine for watching group HITs (like Watcher for group HITs worth at least $0.20, etc.). But as soon as I add a new individual HIT Watcher, the script stops working. The Auto-accept, Stop on Accept, Alert function is no longer working on Turkmaster. If anyone knows of a solution to this, please reply.

I'm aware of some other scripts but I'm used to Turkmaster. Besides, I'm a bit technically impaired and it'll be difficult to get the same amount of satisfaction using other scripts like PandaCrazy, etc. Not that they're not helpful, it's just that they're difficult for me to get a grip on.

I understand that I may not have conveyed everything up to the mark here, but I've tried my better. Hope someone might understand and be able to help. Thank you.

Sorry your health is bad. I can't get Turkmaster to work at all so I can't help much.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:

I know its really tough getting used to something new, but, its so worth it. PC is so much easier to use than TM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witch1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 107,904 Times in 32,236 Posts

wrong thread

*** Forum Supporter *** FeistyLady99's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,837 Times in 3,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Sorry your health is bad. I can't get Turkmaster to work at all so I can't help much.
    I was just reading through a few threads on a different forum (looking for a solution to a different script issue) but remember reading that with TM, you have to copy/use the link that comes from an Accept button to get the correct url for that hit and not the more generic page url.
    I've reached the AGE where my BRAIN has switched from "I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T DO THAT" to "WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS."

You call them swear words, I call them sentence enhancers!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FeistyLady99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@feb1user I found the answer to your problem! Give this a try and let me know if it works:

Step 1: Delete your old TM file out of TamperMonkey. You will lose all your old pandas for hits and requesters but they would not be useable anyway. Make a list if you want so you can look them up again under the new site format.

Step 2: Go to greasyfork.org and install the latest version of TM (version 1.5.6). Refresh your mTurk Dashboard and it should show up as normal on the left hand side. It should have several 'default' watchers already in it, including the ones for Surveys over 25 cents, etc. DELETE THEM ALL! Just by their presence, they screw up any new watchers you set so that they don't run.

Step 3: After you deleted them, refresh the dashboard so you have a clean TM slate.

Step 4: Pick a test hit to watch ... I used John Doe, but even Scout It will work ... something where there are a few hits so you can make sure TM is going to grab more than one hit.

Step 5: Use the 'Watch this hit?' button to bring up the TM box where you can change name, set your scan interval, etc. and Save.

Step 6: Give it a test run!
    I've reached the AGE where my BRAIN has switched from "I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T DO THAT" to "WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS."

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FeistyLady99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyLady99 View Post
    @feb1user I found the answer to your problem! Give this a try and let me know if it works:

Step 1: Delete your old TM file out of TamperMonkey. You will lose all your old pandas for hits and requesters but they would not be useable anyway. Make a list if you want so you can look them up again under the new site format.

Step 2: Go to greasyfork.org and install the latest version of TM (version 1.5.6). Refresh your mTurk Dashboard and it should show up as normal on the left hand side. It should have several 'default' watchers already in it, including the ones for Surveys over 25 cents, etc. DELETE THEM ALL! Just by their presence, they screw up any new watchers you set so that they don't run.

Step 3: After you deleted them, refresh the dashboard so you have a clean TM slate.

Step 4: Pick a test hit to watch ... I used John Doe, but even Scout It will work ... something where there are a few hits so you can make sure TM is going to grab more than one hit.

Step 5: Use the 'Watch this hit?' button to bring up the TM box where you can change name, set your scan interval, etc. and Save.

That got mine working! Thanks!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Axenic1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by witch1 View Post
    I know its really tough getting used to something new, but, its so worth it. PC is so much easier to use than TM.
    There are several scripts having PCr (Panda Crazy; took me a while to figure out that you didn't mean Personal Computer by PC! You may imagine my ignorance by that ) in the title. That itself confuses me. Thanks for the suggestion all the same.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to feb1user For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyLady99 View Post

First of all, I'm extremely sorry for such a delayed response. I just tried what you suggested and it's working excellently! I had a question, though. Will adding the exported (previously saved) watching code cause any trouble? I tried that and the TM stopped working again! But on following the steps you suggested again, it started working again.

Not complaining, but just as a feedback:
    • The "Stop on Accept" function isn't working.

• Furthermore, after adding a HIT to watch on TM, if I change settings later (example: if I've not selected "Stop on Accept" when adding a Watcher, but later select it by editing from the TM slate), it again stops working.

• Also wondering how to add Watchers for HITs that are not available. Trying to add it by "Export"ing the HIT link to the code doesn't help. And can't add it by entering the HIT link as it redirects to the HITs page.

Despite the above problems, I'm glad with the current improvements thanks to you. Thank you very much for helping; extremely, extremely grateful.

P.S. Pardon my English; I can only hope you get what I'm trying to convey.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feb1user View Post
    First of all, I'm extremely sorry for such a delayed response. I just tried what you suggested and it's working excellently! I had a question, though. Will adding the exported (previously saved) watching code cause any trouble? I tried that and the TM stopped working again! But on following the steps you suggested again, it started working again.

Not complaining, but just as a feedback:
    • The "Stop on Accept" function isn't working.

• Furthermore, after adding a HIT to watch on TM, if I change settings later (example: if I've not selected "Stop on Accept" when adding a Watcher, but later select it by editing from the TM slate), it again stops working.

• Also wondering how to add Watchers for HITs that are not available. Trying to add it by "Export"ing the HIT link to the code doesn't help. And can't add it by entering the HIT link as it redirects to the HITs page.

Despite the above problems, I'm glad with the current improvements thanks to you. Thank you very much for helping; extremely, extremely grateful.

P.S. Pardon my English; I can only hope you get what I'm trying to convey.
    BEFORE YOU READ THROUGH THIS LONG DIATRIBE ... Go to greasyfork.org and download the latest version of TurkMaster 1.5.8 just updated today! Not sure if you'll be able to import the old water list, but he supposedly got the stopping issue fixed. I haven't played with it yet.

TurkMaster has a lot of issues, and the original author is working on it apparently. The biggest part of the problem is coming from the new mTurk platform. Coding items that used to be available to incorporate into scripts are now being hidden (best guess is Amazon is intentionally doing this so people won't use scripts). I just happened to stumble across a reference in an old message about the default watchers in TM causing issues. So I played around with it on my computer to see if I could get it to work at all.

From what I can tell, the Watch this Hit button works for setting up a watcher off of the Preview part of the main mTurk Page. Can't seem to get it to work with requesters yet or for hits that aren't available. I truly don't know if the author is going to get it working (I don't do code stuff, I'm just stubborn and like to research problems).

Have you looked at MTurk Suite (Chrome extension)? Lots of people seem to like it, but parts of it seem to break regularly too right now. I have a feeling TM is going to fall to the wayside and may never be updated properly. Another thing you can do is to check regularly for TM updates either on greasyfork or through TamperMonkey.

I used TM all the time before PandaCrazy came along. The first few days were hard to get used to since the graphic interface (with all those blue boxes) is so different, but in all honesty, I love it now. Like everything else, all these changes to mTurk's platform have caused headaches for the author, but he's been on top of working on it to get it fixed. There is a lot of flexibility with it that TM just never had. If you decide to give it another try, I'll be happy to help you get over any rough spots (there is a bit of a learning curve, but so worth it in my opinion). Just shoot me a pm and maybe we could coordinate a time to go through things simultaneously, so no message delays back and forth.

Right now for turking I'm using: Panda Crazy, HIT Forker, and Overwatch. I use 3 flat screen monitors, so my setup is stranger than most. One of the nicest features of PC is the fact you can keep an eye on your queue easier than constantly having to refresh mTurk's Your HIT's Queue. It increases and decreases automatically every so many seconds as HIT's come in and you complete them.

HIT Forker is yet another script like HIT Finder, HIT Scraper, etc. So far with the changes it's been pretty reliable (more than the ones combined into MTurk Suite).

Overwatch is a neat little script I just starting using this past week. You basically can tell it to search for specific requesters or key words and it just gives you a heads-up (voice and/or desktop notification) if something comes along. It doesn't grab it for you automatically, but I'm using it just to alert me to when sporadic requesters are becoming active. Panda Crazy keeps track of how many times Amazon gives you that error about too many page requests too fast ... Panda Crazy calls them PRE's (Page Request Error). Even though I know Overwatch has to access mTurk to scan for the requesters I designated, it doesn't seem to throw those errors like Panda Crazy can.

All in all, Amazon really screwed the workers with this changeover. But there's a lot of folks who will not give up on getting the new format to be profitable. So scripts will be updated as best they can, and new ones written. I know the script I miss the most right now is the database script. I've already had to return HITs I did a week ago because I recognized it after I had already accepted and was several pages into it. Not being able to check ahead of time is a problem with requesters who will reject if you accidentally do their work twice. If you are not aware of it yet, we also lost the ability to know when the Automatic Approval time is ... no way to know now how long it will be before payment or rejection.

I'll second the motion that you take another look at Panda Crazy as a possible replacement for TM. I used both TM and PC for about 2 weeks just to get the hang of it. I would have a watcher set up in TM, and then set one up in PC to see which one grabbed hits more reliably. PC won the race every time.

I'll keep my eyes open for any more fixes for TM issues in the meantime, and your English is perfect!
    Last edited by FeistyLady99; 12-28-2017 at 04:04 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FeistyLady99 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast