Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Global survey is it worth adding HIT approval rate? & Pricing

Thanks

Global survey is it worth adding HIT approval rate? & Pricing

Hi,

First time poster and I'm getting ready to post a series of HITs and have been doing some research on how best to go about it.

HIT: I'll be posting a link to a survey (Survey Monkey) that takes around 4-5 mins to complete.
    I have a different survey for all 29 countries I need responses from (need to keep data separate per country).
    I'm looking for 100-150 responses per country (HIT).

My question is: Should I use a HIT approval rate for such a basic demographic survey? The data needs to be reliable so I don't want survey responses just being made up, but I also need 100-150 per country responses within a week or two.

PRICING: Most of the countries I need responses from are in Africa and South America where the average wage is much lower. Does anyone have any experience with pricing in these regions?

Thanks for such a great forum, it's really helped me get off to a good start.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BadPickleMedia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,885 Times in 2,221 Posts

I completed a study of which countries workers were in. It took six weeks to get 300,000 responses. 77 people from Africa responded, meaning there were likely 124 total on the platform in 2015. 86 people from South America responded, meaning there were likely 138 total on the platform in 2015. And that was 2 years ago.

I will say this bluntly - there are next to no workers from Africa or South America on mTurk. Because Amazon pays non-Indian/U.S. workers in gift cards, very few people from other countries ever signed up. Those two countries also have very little amazon.com will ship to them, so that meant their numbers were further reduced. Lastly, in 2012 Amazon blocked new signups from non-Americans, so the numbers dwindled further. You'd be better off on Prolific Academic, which is both a MUCH better platform for surveys to be posted (more tools like demographics), and has access to workers from around the world.
    It's all good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks spamgirl - good to get some honest advice.

Thanks

I live in South America and while average wage here is much lower I can only buy from Amazon.com, I can't even buy Gift Cards of any kind to send friends and family on the US.
    Amazon only ships here books. There is a third party that ships here but shipping charges are sometimes higher than the item cost itself and anything that weights more than a couple pounds gets stuck on Customs
    I work on mturk because of my health and I use my earnings to buy stuff that I can't buy here, like a Lego Mindstorms set and a Craft cutting machine, those items where much cheaper on other online stores but I had to buy them from Amazon.
    I send them to a relative in USA and they keep them until some other relative travels here and has luggage space.
    I then have to cross my fingers and hope that Customs here doesn't want them to pay huge taxes
    Also I buy gifts for my relatives to thank them

When I got approved to work on Mturk last year I told my mom and many friends here to sign up but none of them has got approved, so I think Amazon only has a small group of international Turkers