Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Personality & Decision denying Qualification & access to post survey

Personality & Decision denying Qualification & access to post survey

This is more a question about a non-responsive Requester, but I couldn't find a category for this problem. I completed a hit 3 weeks ago from Requester "Lab Researcher" that required downloading extensive instructions and negotiating with another Mturk worker in a chat room on another site. I was credited and paid $0.10 at that time, but the main pay off of an additional $2.40 was to come with the post survey. I was to receive an email invitation to it, and I emailed the requester when I didn't receive the invite after 10 days. Again 2 days ago I emailed the Requester when I found the HIT for the post survey and was denied access to it because I didn't have qualification. I requested the qualification (twice now) and emailed the requester asking to grant me qualification for the post survey, or explain why I am being denied access to it. Still no response.
    Whenever I've had a problem with an academic research HIT, the requester has always responded promptly. Maybe there's a legitimate reason they're denying me access to the final survey - and payment - but they should inform me of that, too. Especially since the time and effort required of the original HIT definitely wasn't worth a dime.
    They've got the data and I've got $0.10. I can't even access the post survey HIT to report it, and what kind of violation would I even report it as, content or policy violation? Do I have any recourse besides putting Lab Researcher in the Requester Hall of Shame?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alleyfox View Post
    I was to receive an email invitation to it, and I emailed the requester when I didn't receive the invite after 10 days. Again 2 days ago I emailed the Requester when I found the HIT for the post survey and was denied access to it because I didn't have qualification. I requested the qualification (twice now) and emailed the requester asking to grant me qualification for the post survey, or explain why I am being denied access to it. Still no response.
    By email, do you mean contacting the requester through the mTurk interface or using an actual email address found in documentation? The latter often ends up in a SPAM folder.

See @Mills How to Generate a Contact Form for help with the former.

Quote Originally Posted by bromeliad View Post
    By email, do you mean contacting the requester through the mTurk interface or using an actual email address found in documentation? The latter often ends up in a SPAM folder.

See @Mills How to Generate a Contact Form for help with the former.
    I emailed the actual email address found in documentation. I had a question during the original HIT and the requester replied at that time, so they're getting the emails.

Thanks

I emailed the actual email address found in documentation. I had a question during the original HIT and the requester replied at that time, so they're getting the emails.
    Anything about an oversight committee or ethical review board in the documentation? Some particularly keen workers have been known to complain/pursue justice by contacting them instead.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bromeliad For This Useful Post:

No. When I looked again at the PDF instructions I downloaded and the consent I copied, there isn't even a named contact, an email address, or the name of any academic institution. I originally communicated in an email thread the requester initiated with more HIT information, so they didn't actually provide any contact information. This is looking more like a Hall of Shame candidate. I will be more careful in the future.
    I am interested to know if any participants at all received qualification for the post survey (and thus the promised payment). Can you suggest an appropriate sub-forum to ask?
    I can't believe there's not a way to report out and out scam requesters to Mturk, if that's what this is. The longer I receive no reply, the more that's what it looks like.

Thanks

No. When I looked again at the PDF instructions I downloaded and the consent I copied, there isn't even a named contact, an email address, or the name of any academic institution. I originally communicated in an email thread the requester initiated with more HIT information, so they didn't actually provide any contact information. This is looking more like a Hall of Shame candidate. I will be more careful in the future.
    I am interested to know if any participants at all received qualification for the post survey (and thus the promised payment). Can you suggest an appropriate sub-forum to ask?
    I can't believe there's not a way to report out and out scam requesters to Mturk, if that's what this is. The longer I receive no reply, the more that's what it looks like.
    The Requesters Hall of Fame/Shame is fine. Lots of people like posting questions in the Daily HIT Thread, but that gets locked within 24 hours, so the response window is very small.

1. Post you questions/complaints about the specific requester in HOF/S
    2. Try contacting the requester through the mTurk interface if you have the requester ID or obtain it later.
    3. Check turkopticon for potential information about the requester

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bromeliad For This Useful Post: