Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions from a New Requester

A few questions from a New Requester

Great to be here! I just started posting HITs on Mturk a few weeks ago. I have a few questions that you guys might help me out here, thanks

1. I have been posting an online survey that takes around 10 minutes to complete. For my first batch, I set a low pay ($0.5). Although the completion rate is fast (5/5 jobs completed within 12 h), I get poor responses (about 60-80% just speed through the survey without doing it seriously).

2. Next I raise my payment to $1.2 (so I pay US minimum wage of $7.5/h), I also set more constraints with the hopes of attracting better workers:

HIT Approval Rate (%) for all Requesters' HITs greater than 99
    Number of HITs Approved greater than 10000

But I am only getting 2/5 jobs completed after 3 days.

Question 1: Is my payment of $1.2 for a 10 minute HIT high enough? Any tips as to how to attract good workers (besides increasing payment?)

I also have a poor rating from Turkopticon, but the reviews are from 2012. The requester account that I am using is for my research group, so someone else from my group might have cross a few Turkers before.

Question 2: Would that seriously affect my chance of getting good workers? Anything i can do to improve those ratings?

Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Henri_F For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,708 Posts

$1.20 for 10 minutes sounds fair to me. Your TO could be affecting you. Can you share a link to your HITs or your requester name and number?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosie The Robot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henri_F View Post
    Great to be here! I just started posting HITs on Mturk a few weeks ago. I have a few questions that you guys might help me out here, thanks

1. I have been posting an online survey that takes around 10 minutes to complete. For my first batch, I set a low pay ($0.5). Although the completion rate is fast (5/5 jobs completed within 12 h), I get poor responses (about 60-80% just speed through the survey without doing it seriously).

2. Next I raise my payment to $1.2 (so I pay US minimum wage of $7.5/h), I also set more constraints with the hopes of attracting better workers:

Question 1: Is my payment of $1.2 for a 10 minute HIT high enough? Any tips as to how to attract good workers (besides increasing payment?)

I also have a poor rating from Turkopticon, but the reviews are from 2012. The requester account that I am using is for my research group, so someone else from my group might have cross a few Turkers before.

Question 2: Would that seriously affect my chance of getting good workers? Anything i can do to improve those ratings?

Thanks!
    Requiring 10,000 HITs approved is really high, 1,000 should be sufficient, as many good workers aren't serious batchers.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sniksnak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 803 Posts

I also set more constraints with the hopes of attracting better workers:

You can keep the 10,000 (but the standard recommendation is 5,000.)

What you really need to change is HIT Approval Rate is greater than 99%(zero rejections) to HIT Approval Rating is not less than 99% or 98%.

With that simple change, your pool of potential respondents becomes dramatically larger.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bromeliad For This Useful Post:

*** Forum Supporter *** TurkIngiNtheusa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,581 Posts

First let me say thank you for coming here to ask these questions.

To address your questions, a poor rating on Turkopticon will have an impact on the number of turkers that are willing to work for you, especially those workers with a lot of experience. However, the best way to overcome this poor rating and, ultimately, raise it would be to create a qualification for your specific hit or hits. The qualification could be either granted by completing a test, or alternatively, you could create a hit that takes a minute or two, pays a small amount of money commensurate with the time necessary to complete it. Then use the results of that hit to grant the qualification to workers that do the best work. That way you ensure that you create a pool of workers that are going to give you their best efforts and that are more likely to leave positive feedback for you on turkopticon.

Hope that helps!
    If you received the masters qualification at any point since 1/1/2017 and you use hit database and would like to help me with a theory that I'm working on, please PM me. I will respond with some specific questions. Thanks!

Then vs Than: What's the difference?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TurkIngiNtheusa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie The Robot View Post

$1.20 for 10 minutes sounds fair to me. Your TO could be affecting you. Can you share a link to your HITs or your requester name and number?

Thanks guys for the fast response and feedback!

My AMT ID is A375WPBVZNYQ3M, and the Name is IHSP Life Condition Survey.

I just cancel my current batch. I will make some modifications to the survey and also the constraints based on your feedback before launching it again.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Henri_F For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,708 Posts

Thanks guys for the fast response and feedback!

My AMT ID is A375WPBVZNYQ3M, and the Name is IHSP Life Condition Survey.

I just cancel my current batch. I will make some modifications to the survey and also the constraints based on your feedback before launching it again.
    Great! Yeah, I totally overlooked that you had your requirements set so that only workers who had never had even one rejection could do them. That is very few workers!

If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosie The Robot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,444 Times in 20,565 Posts

There are 2 turkers out there without a rejection and over 10K of hits? Wow! That is pretty amazing.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tscreener For This Useful Post:

*** Forum Supporter *** FeistyLady99's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,675 Times in 2,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tscreener View Post
    There are 2 turkers out there without a rejection and over 10K of hits? Wow! That is pretty amazing.
    I think Tammy may be one of them ... I know she really did thousands of batch hits and got the rejections reversed, so she easily could be over 10K now with no rejects.
    I've reached the AGE where my BRAIN has switched from "I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T DO THAT" to "WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS."

You call them swear words, I call them sentence enhancers!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FeistyLady99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,886 Times in 2,222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tscreener View Post
    If you pick batches which don't reject it can be relatively easy You have to remember that approval ratings also round up, so I can do a HIT with 99%+ and I have almost a million HITs completed, but I've had plenty of rejections.
    It's all good.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast