Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: QUICK HELP REQUEST (New Requester Questions)

QUICK HELP REQUEST (New Requester Questions)

I'm a first-time Requester. Cool to see this forum.

Last night I requested a HIT for transcription of a 44-min video. Offering $17.00. It was my first-ever HIT request. I'm new to Turk.

- Will I get any notification if/when a worker is working on my HIT? Is there a way to check that?

- Do I get a chance to approve a worker *before* they start working on my HIT? (By looking at their work history, credentials, etc)? Or does someone just complete my HIT, and that's that, and I either accept the work or reject it?

This is a 44-min video to transcribe. It will take a worker a few hours to finish it. If I end up rejecting a few worker's work, this could negatively impact my ability to attract workers in the future. Seems better for me to be able to screen who takes on the job. Is this an option?

- I expected by today to see some signal my HIT was being worked on, or possibly even completed (I've read about requesters submitting shorter transcription tasks than mine and workers completing the tasks within hours of posting). Is this an unrealistic expectation?

Would love you input on these questions. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,885 Times in 2,221 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sj10 View Post
    Last night I requested a HIT for transcription of a 44-min video. Offering $17.00. It was my first-ever HIT request. I'm new to Turk.
    Note that transcription takes about 3x as long as the video, so you're paying $17 for 2.2 hours. That's pretty low as the person doing your HIT not only needs to be able to clearly understand English, but also be good at writing in English.

- Will I get any notification if/when a worker is working on my HIT? Is there a way to check that?
    Not in the GUI (I'm not sure about the API). All you can see in the GUI is available here: first, click here, then click on the title of your HITs. That will show you what there is to see. You used to be able to see how many were accepted and being worked on, but I just tested it and it didn't show.

- Do I get a chance to approve a worker *before* they start working on my HIT? (By looking at their work history, credentials, etc)? Or does someone just complete my HIT, and that's that, and I either accept the work or reject it?
    Nope, you don't get to see anything about them.

This is a 44-min video to transcribe. It will take a worker a few hours to finish it. If I end up rejecting a few worker's work, this could negatively impact my ability to attract workers in the future. Seems better for me to be able to screen who takes on the job. Is this an option?
    If they do a good job, approve it. If they don't, reject it. But yes, they will likely rate you on Turkopticon and it'll be tough to get a good worker to do your work thereafter. You should use the 99% approved and 10,000 HITs approved qualifications to ensure only good workers do your HIT, but honestly, nothing is foolproof except using a private qualification. For example, I have a list of great workers who would be totally trustworthy, but I doubt they'll do your HIT for $7.72/hour.

- I expected by today to see some signal my HIT was being worked on, or possibly even completed (I've read about requesters submitting shorter transcription tasks than mine and workers completing the tasks within hours of posting). Is this an unrealistic expectation?
    I don't see a HIT on mTurk for $17, so either you've used qualifications and selected the "Hidden" option (so I can't see it), or someone has it and is either working on it or holding it in their queue. However long you set as the duration of the HIT is how long they have to do it.
    It's all good.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply spamgirl!

The video is a speaker reading text that appears on the video (It's a powerpoint presentation). The transcriber can mostly just copy what's written on screen. I presumed this job would take less than normal transcription time (which apparently is 2.2 hrs...thanks for that guide!) I saw lots of transcription HIT requests priced ~$.44/min, so I shaded my pricing down from there, given the situation. That might not have been a great idea.

I did select some qualifications (98% approved, 100+ HITS approved.) Going forward I'll take your guideline into account. I don't recall selecting "hidden".

If I decided to expire the HIT early (in order to re-request with a higher price)....might that early expiration perhaps result in a negative review of me as a requester? Is it considered uncool to expire a request early?

Other than higher payment amount, any other tips for transcription requests?

Going forward, I expect to have a frequent need for transcription of shorter (~4-10 min) videos. Would love to make my getting transcription done on Turk a well-functioning routine.

Thanks in advance! Impressed with this forum.

Thanks

Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply spamgirl!

The video is a speaker reading text that appears on the video (It's a powerpoint presentation). The transcriber can mostly just copy what's written on screen. I presumed this job would take less than normal transcription time (which apparently is 2.2 hrs...thanks for that guide!) I saw lots of transcription HIT requests priced ~$.44/min, so I shaded my pricing down from there, given the situation. That might not have been a great idea.

I did select some qualifications (98% approved, 100+ HITS approved.) Going forward I'll take your guideline into account. I don't recall selecting "hidden".

If I decided to expire the HIT early (in order to re-request with a higher price)....might that early expiration perhaps result in a negative review of me as a requester? Is it considered uncool to expire a request early?

Other than higher payment amount, any other tips for transcription requests?

Going forward, I expect to have a frequent need for transcription of shorter (~4-10 min) videos. Would love to make my getting transcription done on Turk a well-functioning routine.

Thanks in advance! Impressed with this forum.
    I should be able to see it with those qualifications, so my guess is someone grabbed it, unless you also selected US only?

If someone is holding the HIT, you can't expire it on them, they still get the chance to do it.

I don't really have any other tips, maybe someone else does?
    It's all good.

Thanks.

I have yet to see my HIT appear in the list of available HITS. I set time allotted to 10 hrs, and it's been 24 hrs. No idea what's happening with it

Thanks

Thanks.

I have yet to see my HIT appear in the list of available HITS. I set time allotted to 10 hrs, and it's been 24 hrs. No idea what's happening with it
    That's very odd. Try cancelling it - if it tells you it's still "In Progress" then someone has it. If it doesn't, then double check it isn't set to hidden, then repost.
    It's all good.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,708 Posts

Thanks.

Maybe it's getting passed around from person to person. They probably grab it, see the 10 hour timer, so wait until they have time, then look at it closely and release it. I'm sure it gets snapped up quickly, you'd have to be watching that very minute that it gets released to see it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosie The Robot For This Useful Post: