We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird tax implications for 200 Amazon Payment transactions?

*** Forum Supporter *** FeistyLady99's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,166 Times in 2,466 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savetheunlikely View Post
    Very interesting info, thanks!

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations require that U.S. payment processors, including Amazon Payments, file a Form 1099-K to report unadjusted annual gross sales or payment volume information for customers that meet both of the following thresholds in a calendar year:

More than $20,000 in gross payment volume
    More than 200 transactions

So if you're not making more than $20,000 a year on anything related to Amazon Payments (mturk, selling on Amazon), it looks like you're golden. Phew. For those talented individuals (Jim, Sniksnak), I can see the concern.
    So that sounds like it would be withdrawals out of the Payments account to bank over the $20K trigger.
    I've reached the AGE where my BRAIN has switched from "I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T DO THAT" to "WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS."

You call them swear words, I call them sentence enhancers!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FeistyLady99 For This Useful Post:

*** Forum Supporter *** FeistyLady99's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,166 Times in 2,466 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebandkittie View Post
    Any possibility it's one OR the other? That would make more sense from a tax standpoint. EDIT: I see that it does say both thresholds must be met. That's strange because that's a lot of money to be on the honor system about with the IRS.
    Technically I think every dollar you make from anywhere is required to be reported as income. I believe those limits are only for Amazon's responsibility of sending them the 1099-K.
    I've reached the AGE where my BRAIN has switched from "I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T DO THAT" to "WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS."

You call them swear words, I call them sentence enhancers!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FeistyLady99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,255 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyLady99 View Post
    So that sounds like it would be withdrawals out of the Payments account to bank over the $20K trigger.
    I'm thinking into the payments account because even if we spend it all at Amazon it's still income but my intuition/logic was wrong about the 20k AND 200 transactions so take this with a big grain of salt. I'm going to read the whole payments rules thing later. I printed it out and set it aside because I'm in turk mode now.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thebandkittie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,255 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyLady99 View Post
    Technically I think every dollar you make from anywhere is required to be reported as income. I believe those limits are only for Amazon's responsibility of sending them the 1099-K.
    Yes, exactly but it's the difference between "honor system" versus IRS receives hard, cold figures. I think anything over about $2400 a year is taxable unless you file long form and have deductions that would allow a little more income without taxes possibly.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thebandkittie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,809 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savetheunlikely View Post
    Very interesting info, thanks!

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations require that U.S. payment processors, including Amazon Payments, file a Form 1099-K to report unadjusted annual gross sales or payment volume information for customers that meet both of the following thresholds in a calendar year:

More than $20,000 in gross payment volume
    More than 200 transactions

So if you're not making more than $20,000 a year on anything related to Amazon Payments (mturk, selling on Amazon), it looks like you're golden. Phew. For those talented individuals (Jim, Sniksnak), I can see the concern.
    But that just means we wouldn't get caught because the IRS isn't filing a 1099-k. You are still supposed to file taxes on money made over a certain amount. I think it used to be 600.00, Anyone know?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margaretd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I believe to file it as income it has to be greater than $550 or $599 not really sure. It may be over 600 now. When I was working from home before that is what my accountant told me to do. Most of the time I was able to file what I was bringing in as "hobby".

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MelB View Post
    I believe to file it as income it has to be greater than $550 or $599 not really sure. It may be over 600 now. When I was working from home before that is what my accountant told me to do. Most of the time I was able to file what I was bringing in as "hobby".
    This has all been fascinating as a thread. I would love to hide income from the IRS because they are an evil entity taking our hard earned $ for uses I seldom agree with but I am seriously risk adverse unless the reward is huge. I am currently retired (work-tirement) so what I can earn over Social Security is limited to around 17K a year before the penalties become huge. I am also reward motivated so we would have to be considering a huge payoff (fort Knox type) before I would even fantasize about it. If they make a movie about it like Oceans 11 I want to be the George Clooney character....just saying

Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MelB View Post
    This has all been fascinating as a thread. I would love to hide income from the IRS because they are an evil entity taking our hard earned $ for uses I seldom agree with but I am seriously risk adverse unless the reward is huge. I am currently retired (work-tirement) so what I can earn over Social Security is limited to around 17K a year before the penalties become huge. I am also reward motivated so we would have to be considering a huge payoff (fort Knox type) before I would even fantasize about it. If they make a movie about it like Oceans 11 I want to be the George Clooney character....just saying

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SeamusWinkin For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12