We are halfway to hitting our goal of paying the monthly server bill on May 1.
This is the second month in a row we've been short. If you can help, please do!
Click the thermometer to learn more.

Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Lots of scripts, lots of questions. Turkmaster Panda crazy... etc.

Thanks

Lots of scripts, lots of questions. Turkmaster Panda crazy... etc.

Totally new to turking.. but I like it.

So I started to install some scripts, and I need a little help.

Hit scraper was self explanatory. easy to use, LOVE IT!

Then I tried Panda crazy and Turkmaster... I felt like a tool. I do not "get it", I tried youtube vids but the explanation was similar to the following: "Click here and on the Panda and then YAYY Pandas"... not helpful

I realize that a full tutorial here in the forum is not possible (or at least not practicable). However I was hoping some of you fine folks out there might direct me to:

1) A good tutorial on Panda Crazy
    2) A good tutorial on Turkmaster
    3) An efficient method to use Hit Scraper, Panda Crazy, and Turkmaster together.

Thanks in advance... Y'all are awesome!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,357 Times in 3,464 Posts

Someone will have these, if you ask in the Daily HITs thread. That's where everyone is hanging out.

Sent by means of Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosie The Robot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,357 Times in 3,464 Posts

I have this in my bookmarks.
    http://pandacrazy.allbyjohn.com

Sent by means of Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosie The Robot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bogdwell View Post
    Totally new to turking.. but I like it.

So I started to install some scripts, and I need a little help.

Hit scraper was self explanatory. easy to use, LOVE IT!

Then I tried Panda crazy and Turkmaster... I felt like a tool. I do not "get it", I tried youtube vids but the explanation was similar to the following: "Click here and on the Panda and then YAYY Pandas"... not helpful

I realize that a full tutorial here in the forum is not possible (or at least not practicable). However I was hoping some of you fine folks out there might direct me to:

1) A good tutorial on Panda Crazy
    2) A good tutorial on Turkmaster
    3) An efficient method to use Hit Scraper, Panda Crazy, and Turkmaster together.

Thanks in advance... Y'all are awesome!
    Panda Crazy and Turkmaster have the same functionality, I wouldn't use both together or you will get a lot of "Page Rate Refresh Errors". I'm just heading out to work, but I can put together a nice summary for you later.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RippedWarrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would love that, thanks.
    Although I now do understand how TM and PC are similar. Thusly I deleted TM

I (of course) love Hit Scraper, and I think I like PandaCrazy. However, for me PC is not very intuitive... I kinda click on stuff and hope it does what I want. Hit Scraper (for me) took only like 10 minutes to figure out.

So I guess to refine my question would be : Would sure like to understand more about PC, and how to strategically use HS and PC separately and together.

I also wanna know how to bake a cheesecake... but proly not the right forum for that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bogdwell View Post
    I would love that, thanks.
    Although I now do understand how TM and PC are similar. Thusly I deleted TM

I (of course) love Hit Scraper, and I think I like PandaCrazy. However, for me PC is not very intuitive... I kinda click on stuff and hope it does what I want. Hit Scraper (for me) took only like 10 minutes to figure out.

So I guess to refine my question would be : Would sure like to understand more about PC, and how to strategically use HS and PC separately and together.

I also wanna know how to bake a cheesecake... but proly not the right forum for that.
    I don't know if you know what a "PandA" is, but that's a good place to start. "PandA" is short for "Preview and Accept" and refers to an URL. The URL is the one that is used to accept a HIT, as if you had clicked the "Accept" button. So when we say to "run" or "refresh" a "Panda", that means constantly refresh the URL which is the same as if you were repeatedly clicking the "Accept" button on a HIT.

HIT Scraper is used to search for HITs, according to the search terms you have set. (PROTIP: Never scrape more than 1 page using HIT Scraper or you will miss a lot of HITs). A lot of the time, when you see a good HIT it is gone by the time you click on it. This is where the "Panda" comes in. You take the Panda for that HIT and put it into Panda Crazy. Panda Crazy will then constantly try and grab that HIT. So, the moment it becomes available again (either the requester published more, or someone returned or expired the HIT) Panda Crazy will grab it for you. You can probably snag 25% of your missed HITS this way.

You may or may not have encountered "Page refresh rate errors". Amazon puts a limit on how many times you can access mturk.com per second. So when you are running scripts like Panda Crazy or HIT Scraper, every time it searches/scrapes Mturk, it adds to your page refresh rate. So, you can't run too many things at once, or you have to slow down the timers on your Pandas so they don't run so often. It's a balancing act.

There is an add-on script for Panda Crazy called Panda Crazy Helper. This puts a button on the screen when you miss a HIT (no more hits available) that you can click to send the Panda right to Panda Crazy and start running it. This is faster and easier than manually adding the Panda (with Panda Crazy, you just have to add the "Group ID" where it says "add job" and it will automatically create a Panda URL for you).

Panda Crazy lets you do the following (among other things):

1. "Panda" HITs so they are automatically accepted when they become availalble
    2. Search by "Requester ID" so when that requester publishes any HIT, you automatically accept it
    3. Search by search terms so when it alerts you when a match is found

Hope this helps, play with them a bit and when you have more questions feel free to ask.

I stopped using Turkmaster when I switched to Panda Crazy. I don't use HIT Scraper, I prefer to find my HITs on the native MTurk site.

The most valuable script, to me, is Overwatch. It can watch 500 requesters or HITs for you, and only does 1 page scrape (as opposed to Turkmaster or Panda Crazy that does 1 page scrape for EVERY panda/watcher/search term.)
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RippedWarrior For This Useful Post: