We did not have enough package purchases to pay our July or August server bills. Please help us get enough for September! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Tracking turkers

Tracking turkers

Hi, first post, so please let me know if this is the wrong sub-forum, but as a requester I want to get a feel for how Turkers feel about something.

I've been requesting hits for some time now and I realise that I'd love to get more information on the turkers - mostly screen resolution but language and location would help as well. I use a custom HTML question already, so I can be quite flexible in what i do. I was thinking of adding Google analytics to this question and capturing a lot of information about who is participating. I've seen the posts warning that turkers are not anonymous, and plenty of posts about whether or not they are/are not happy about giving personal info; but this would be collected without the turner knowing. That said, doesn't every website collect this kind of info anyway?

Final point here is that Google Analytics wouldn't allow me to tie the answers to the screen size or location data captured, so it's even more separated from the turker's info.

How do turkers feel about this? How about if I was to add to the question such that it would automatically collect your screen size and location, sending me the answer along with this metadata about the Turker?

Thanks, hopefully I can use this to make better questions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tomharvey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,749 Times in 3,685 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomharvey View Post
    Hi, first post, so please let me know if this is the wrong sub-forum, but as a requester I want to get a feel for how Turkers feel about something.

I've been requesting hits for some time now and I realise that I'd love to get more information on the turkers - mostly screen resolution but language and location would help as well. I use a custom HTML question already, so I can be quite flexible in what i do. I was thinking of adding Google analytics to this question and capturing a lot of information about who is participating. I've seen the posts warning that turkers are not anonymous, and plenty of posts about whether or not they are/are not happy about giving personal info; but this would be collected without the turner knowing. That said, doesn't every website collect this kind of info anyway?

Final point here is that Google Analytics wouldn't allow me to tie the answers to the screen size or location data captured, so it's even more separated from the turker's info.

How do turkers feel about this? How about if I was to add to the question such that it would automatically collect your screen size and location, sending me the answer along with this metadata about the Turker?

Thanks, hopefully I can use this to make better questions.
    I already answer these questions fairly often in surveys (native language being the most common, followed by zip code, and screen resolution). I know some people don't like entering their zip code but it's never bothered me. I will say that my gut reaction is that I'd rather be asked for the information and put it in myself than have any analytics do it for me. That might just be me though!
    It's like a video game, except that when I level up I get paid!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trace For This Useful Post:

why be surreptitious about it? If you want to know that information, ask for it. Plenty of other requesters ask for location by asking the turker to enter their zipcode. If you want to know our language, ask for it. And if you want to know our screen resolution, ask for it.

Alternatively, you are provided with the turkers IP address so you could simply automate an IP location lookup, the other information is simple enough to ask for. As for using google analytics to try to, frankly, steal the desired information I think you will find that doing so may prove problematic. I, for one, use browser plugins to prevent such nefarious information gathering.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TurkIngiNtheusa For This Useful Post: