Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 07/14/2017 My grammar is showing-take a meeting

Thanks
    Thanked 39,186 Times in 11,023 Posts

07/14/2017 My grammar is showing-take a meeting

I am so irritated by the use of the sentence "I take a meeting." Every cable news network is using it to refer to a meeting with a Russian lawyer. (This is NOT a political statement.)

I must be very old because I have never heard that usage before. The sentence sounds as bad to me as nails scratching across a blackboard. Anybody else?

At least, the usage is not precise. Did you set up the meeting? Did you participate? Did you agree to a meeting? Did you join a meeting in progress?

If this does not bother you, do you have a word usage that drives you nuts or is everything okay this day and age?

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to carolyn For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 36,553 Times in 10,989 Posts

mornin peeps

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to hballarte For This Useful Post:

Thanks

**Hidden Content: To see this hidden content your post count must be 1 or greater.**

pretty fast. A little responsive writing

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to carolyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 Times in 738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carolyn View Post
    I am so irritated by the use of the sentence "I take a meeting." Every cable news network is using it to refer to a meeting with a Russian lawyer. (This is NOT a political statement.)

I must be very old because I have never heard that usage before. The sentence sounds as bad to me as nails scratching across a blackboard. Anybody else?

At least, the usage is not precise. Did you set up the meeting? Did you participate? Did you agree to a meeting? Did you join a meeting in progress?

If this does not bother you, do you have a word usage that drives you nuts or is everything okay this day and age?

I must be old as well. I take umbrage to I take a meating. One half of that statement is grammatically true.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeamusWinkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,071 Times in 7,777 Posts

Good morning!

Quote Originally Posted by carolyn View Post
    I've got a bazillion, but one is "irregardless," when all people mean is "regardless." I also don't like "I could care less," when what people mean is that they "couldn't care less." The meaning is changed if you don't care about something, but say you could care less about it.

The problem with language is that it's always evolving, so as people keep using the inaccurate words or statements, these changes just become normal and accepted. People also don't value editing anymore (online news articles, for example, can be dreadful to read), which maybe is one reason you keep hearing this on the news.
    "N/A" showing on TN for TO could be due to TO issues. Requesters may not be new and may have negative TO! To be careful, click through to the TurkOpticon site when no TO shows.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mills For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,071 Times in 7,777 Posts

Just wanted to update that Heather Walters has been really helpful and got things figured out with the HIT that took me (and a few others) about two or more hours. It turns out the time was due to my partner and me.

The first HIT took people about 50 minutes to do, on average. For those of us who it took two or more hours, we had more conversation about our answers than others did.
    "N/A" showing on TN for TO could be due to TO issues. Requesters may not be new and may have negative TO! To be careful, click through to the TurkOpticon site when no TO shows.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mills For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 Times in 738 Posts

The sun is almost up and the sky is brightening let's hope for a good day.
    Let the fun begin.

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SeamusWinkin For This Useful Post:

*** Forum Supporter *** TurkIngiNtheusa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,412 Times in 1,571 Posts

Good morning, Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mills View Post
    . . . one is "irregardless," when all people mean is "regardless." . . . The problem with language is that it's always evolving, so as people keep using the inaccurate words or statements, these changes just become normal and accepted.
    One thing that really ruffles my feathers is the over (mis)usage of the word "decimate" when what they really mean is "obliterate". To decimate something is to reduce it by one tenth. Once you know the real meaning of the word it doesn't really have the same impact. Another is the increasingly common mix-up of the words "then" and "than". T.H.E.N. is an adverb used to divide measured time. As in the example, "Hits are posted and THEN we accept them." This is being confused with T.H.A.N. which is most commonly used after a comparative adjective, or adverb, as in, "Are you smarter THAN a fifth grader?"

As Mill's said, our language evolves over time. But, as much as the above issues do bother me personally, I have to disagree with the notion that this is "the problem with" language. After all, if it weren't for that very evolution we would all still be speaking middle english.
    If you received the masters qualification at any point since 1/1/2017 and you use hit database and would like to help me with a theory that I'm working on, please PM me. I will respond with some specific questions. Thanks!

Then vs Than: What's the difference?

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TurkIngiNtheusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

**Hidden Content: To see this hidden content your post count must be 1 or greater.**

it was okay

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carolyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,986 Times in 3,520 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkingintheusa View Post
    Good morning, Nation.

One thing that really ruffles my feathers is the over (mis)usage of the word "decimate" when what they really mean is "obliterate". To decimate something is to reduce it by one tenth. Once you know the real meaning of the word it doesn't really have the same impact. Another is the increasingly common mix-up of the words "then" and "than". T.H.E.N. is an adverb used to divide measured time. As in the example, "Hits are posted and THEN we accept them." This is being confused with T.H.A.N. which is most commonly used after a comparative adjective, or adverb, as in, "Are you smarter THAN a fifth grader?"

As Mill's said, our language evolves over time. But, as much as the above issues do bother me personally, I have to disagree with the notion that this is "the problem with" language. After all, if it weren't for that very evolution we would all still be speaking middle english.
    I dont have a lot of pet peeves with grammar, but I have two friends from different parts of the country who say "Thats a great ideal".....IDEA people lol

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cyvamp For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast