We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Denied to work for Amazon Mechanical Turk

Denied to work for Amazon Mechanical Turk

Hi Everyone,

I have a question:
    I know someone who was not allowed by Amazon to work for Mechanical Turk. Does anyone know why? They say that their review criteria are proprietary, and they will not tell you why they deny someone the ability to work for them.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Did they eventually get to work as a Turker?

Thanks,

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,503 Posts

What Amazon said pretty much sums it up. They do not give reasons why. Many people outside of the US applied during their ban and were eventually granted access. Some of them years after applying.

Personally, my daughter was denied when she first applied, then about a year later got access. My other daughter applied when she turned 18 and was denied as well but has not been given an account.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taintturk For This Useful Post:

Registration Denied?!

So I am new, I created an account and then received the following message-

Your Amazon Mechanical Turk Account has been reviewed

Your registration with Amazon Mechanical Turk has been declined. Unfortunately, you are not permitted to work on Mechanical Turk. Our account review criteria are proprietary and we cannot disclose the reason why an invitation to complete registration has been denied. If our criteria for invitation changes, you may be invited to complete registration in the future. Thank you for your interest in Mechanical Turk.

I'm not sure what I did wrong? It didn't ask for any information from me really other then my address. Is there a limit of how many people they contract at once? I'm pretty bummed, I thought this was going to be a pretty simple way to earn some extra cash. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,567 Times in 2,844 Posts

I'm sorry that happened. I wish I knew why they do it.

Sent by means of Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

In case this help anyone... I signed up for mechanical turk using my gmail account and at the same time I set up an amazon payments account that was linked to it. At some point after this and before my account was reviewed, I accidently logged onto amazon/mturk using the email provided by my ISP. I ended up sending this one in for review also, but did not link up any amazon payments account to it as it was more of an accident than anything. Anyways, 2 days later I get an email from mturk on my gmail account, the one linked to my amazon payments and my bank account, and was DENIED to work on mturk. I was kind of pissed because If anything I would have thought that one would have been approved. Later on in the day checking my ISP email I find an email entited "Registration Invitation for Mechanical Turk" Which said I had been approved and had a link to the sign in screen. So, I just made a new amazon payments account for this email after. If your E-mail is entitled "Your Amazon Mechanical Turk Account Registration", prepare for bad news. Take What you want from this.... I had thought it would be the payments account that made the difference, but it apparently didn't matter at all as the approved account didn't even have one at the time it was approved. Try another email if you we're denied it may work! Also, I don't know if it had anything to do with the FREE vs the ISP E-mail account that I pay for, I doubt it but you never know.

If it helps, my application was denied with the same message as well, and then out of the blue about 3 months later I received an e-mail saying I was approved. It sounds like maybe there is a bottleneck of applications and they only allow so many in at a time perhaps?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zachpsu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,567 Times in 2,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zachpsu View Post
    If it helps, my application was denied with the same message as well, and then out of the blue about 3 months later I received an e-mail saying I was approved. It sounds like maybe there is a bottleneck of applications and they only allow so many in at a time perhaps?
    Glad you finally got approved. Thank you for sharing your story, I'm sure it will be an encouragement. Welcome to TN!
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosie The Robot For This Useful Post:

I just "applied" for Mechanical Turk, and found this forum when trying to understand the acceptance process.
    I'm going to explore the forum more thoroughly, but in case anyone here happens to know, are there statistics for how many applicants there are on average, and what the acceptance rate is? I know that the criteria is kept secret by Amazon. but maybe knowing more will make the waiting less excruciating. Thanks for putting up with a complete noob!