We typically are NOT getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. We need your help! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: MTurk Privacy Policy Question

MTurk Privacy Policy Question

Hi, new here, I was about to sign up for MTurk when I came across this part of the Agreement:

"In addition to the disclosures described in our Privacy Notice, we may disclose to Requesters your name, address, data on HITs you have completed, and Provider Tax Information. "Provider Tax Information" means tax identification information of Providers, such as a Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number.You hereby consent to our use and disclosure of Provider Tax Information and other data as described in this Section 6 and our Privacy Notice."

Please is this something I should be concerned about? Why should requesters need this information?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,126 Times in 760 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
    Hi, new here, I was about to sign up for MTurk when I came across this part of the Agreement:

"In addition to the disclosures described in our Privacy Notice, we may disclose to Requesters your name, address, data on HITs you have completed, and Provider Tax Information. "Provider Tax Information" means tax identification information of Providers, such as a Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number.You hereby consent to our use and disclosure of Provider Tax Information and other data as described in this Section 6 and our Privacy Notice."

Please is this something I should be concerned about? Why should requesters need this information?
    Once upon a time, if you made $600 or more from a single requester, you would get a 1090-MISC from them at the end of the year; this required Amazon to share your tax information with the requester.

Amazon switched over to the 1090-K in 2013...

"The IRS published new regulations under section 6050W. As a result of this change, Amazon Payments, as the third party payment network provider for Mechanical Turk transactions, is responsible for reporting transactions that meet the IRS thresholds via Form 1099-K, this reporting includes Worker earnings. As a result of this change, Mechanical Turk will no longer provide the Mechanical Turk tax report to Requesters."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bromeliad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,015 Posts

While this part of the Participation Agreement may be a historical remnant, is it still in the documentation. This is taxable income, and there should be no expectation of privacy.

Good luck turking!
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

Thanks for your responses...Unfortunately Amazon wouldn't allow me to proceed for some undisclosed reason. Hopefully I receive an acceptance email in the future. Any advice? I wonder if the information here would still be useful for other sites like Mturk.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
    Thanks for your responses...Unfortunately Amazon wouldn't allow me to proceed for some undisclosed reason. Hopefully I receive an acceptance email in the future. Any advice? I wonder if the information here would still be useful for other sites like Mturk.
    Just have to wait it out. My wife applied in April and was rejected. In August, she received an invitation.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RippedWarrior For This Useful Post:

Amazon invited me to Mturk!! Excited and eager to learn more here at TurkerNation.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shoebox For This Useful Post:

*** Forum Supporter & Moderator *** Rosie The Robot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,235 Posts

Praise the Lord!

Sent by means of Tapatalk
    If Turker Nation has helped you make more money than you would have without it, please consider chipping in to help pay the monthly server bill. When you see the big thermometer above the board, please click on it for more info! Thank you!