We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "let's eat healthy, cheaply, and yummy" thread of awesome support!

Thanks
    Thanked 33,838 Times in 10,511 Posts

I am currently doing the 21 day potion fix from Beach Body. It gives a lot of ways to help portion and I have found a ton of great recipes as well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hballarte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 981 Posts

Hello, everyone. I clicked on this out of curiosity. Here are some recipes that might qualify as healthy and cheap.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christineby...Jqw#.qib7aLoK4

There are 8 roast chicken recipes here. The only one I have tried is the winner of the "tournament" because it is easy to shop for. I keep meaning to try the others. I also keep meaning to keep the bones and some veggie scraps to make stock. I'll dig up the recipe I have for stock.

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/r...es-with-cumin/

Cucumber "noodles" with lemon juice and cumin. This is a yummy recipe if you like cucumbers (another cheap Aldi food). I just dice the cucumbers rather than making noodles.

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I'm on the keto way of eating too. Started 3 weeks ago and down 11lbs! Tonight I'm doing chicken tenders smeared with mayo, topped with parmesan and baked and a salad on the side It's fun once you get the hang of it.
    I agree. I did the calorie counting, exercise my tail off thing after having my last child and lost about 50lbs that stuck around that way. Being ketogenic is so much better. I have found I actually feel so much better now honestly. I lost about 15lbs in the first two weeks. Then it tapered off to a pound or two a week.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysticeyez For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticeyez View Post
    I agree. I did the calorie counting, exercise my tail off thing after having my last child and lost about 50lbs that stuck around that way. Being ketogenic is so much better. I have found I actually feel so much better now honestly. I lost about 15lbs in the first two weeks. Then it tapered off to a pound or two a week.
    Yes mine has tapered off now too. But I can live with a pound or 2 a week while Im still eating bacon for breakfast lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carebear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Yes mine has tapered off now too. But I can live with a pound or 2 a week while I'm still eating bacon for breakfast lol
    Oh man indeed. This is much better than a traditional diet for me. I have the problem of getting really weak and shaky and ill if I don't get enough to eat that has actually leveled out a lot with this diet. Let me know if you are ever looking for any recipes. I have a ton of them. I actually found a recipe ( that I have made twice now) for pasta using Carbalose flour. It is not exactly like traditional pasta but it is low carb and very similar to it. Made some awesome brownies last night out of almond flour.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysticeyez For This Useful Post:

Thank you I belong to a low carb group on Facebook and have picked up a tonne of recipes off there. I bought some almond flour earlier in the week and am going to be using it tonight to make zuchinni fritters

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carebear For This Useful Post:

I can't do keto or other low carb for health reasons but a lot I eat is naturally low carb and I try to stick to more complex carbs for higher carb stuff most of the time.

I do great counting calories using an app and weighing my food. By keeping things mixed up variety wise I get a lot of food if I want and get pretty full and it's healthy as far as nutrition is concerned...and I can still have bacon not that I eat it very often at all even when not dieting. I'm one of those rare people that can pass on bacon and not miss it at all lol. I actually eat a lot of meat.

My favorites right now are the chicken sausages from Tjs that are only 100 cal each and the white meat turkey burgers of another brand that are 200 cals each. Truly you can have hamburger for just a little more calories but that whole limit having too much red meat thing I also buy the little packets of lunch meat that are 90 to 100 calories each. Very fast to either wrap around some cheese (I get the lower calorie string cheese for this) or make a sandwich and already have calories figured out without weighing anything. If you shop around they are cheap too - when I find them on sale I get a lot of packets and freeze several for future.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DarlsBored For This Useful Post:

I'm trying to follow a low(er) carb diet, where I try to keep carbs to under 100 grams a day, and I eat protein any time I eat a carb, to try to prevent blood sugar spikes. I also want to avoid any artificial sweeteners. I love bread, though, so I've found two lower carb breads that I use in place of traditional bread. One is Thomas' Everything Thin Bagels. They have 110 calories, 25 grams carbs. I use them instead of rolls.
    https://thomasbreads.com/products/ev...l-thins-bagels

The other is Arnold Jewish Rye Melba Thin bread. It is really thin bread...you can practically see through it! But it toasts up nicely and gives you some crunch for breakfast. Only 55 calories per slice, 10.5 grams of carbs. I use it for sandwiches, toast for breakfast, etc.
    https://www.arnoldbread.com/products...rye/melba-thin

My money saving tip...use tomato paste! It's really cheap for a small can, and you can use it in place of jars of spaghetti sauce, or cans of tomato soup. For pizza or spaghetti, just add enough water to get the consistency you want, and add some sugar, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, paprika, etc....whatever herbs you desire. You can control the salt content that way. For a very easy tomato soup, one small can of tomato paste and a box of low sodium chicken broth, and add some spices, makes a very nice tomato soup. I add a little milk to make it creamy. (Anytime I use tomato paste, you need to add a bit of sugar, I think, but it's no way near the sugar you'll get in a jar of sauce or a can of soup.) If you don't use the whole can of tomato paste, put the rest in a snack size ziplock bag and put in the freezer, and you will have it to add to soup or stirfry for another meal. Tomato paste added to homemade soup or stew adds a lot of flavor and helps to thicken it.
    Once upon a timey wimey....We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 49,133 Times in 19,714 Posts

Anyone want to share their favorite peanut butter cookie recipe with me? Not healthy, but I'm always looking for a good one.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tscreener For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tscreener View Post
    Anyone want to share their favorite peanut butter cookie recipe with me? Not healthy, but I'm always looking for a good one.
    Here is my favorite, that I make every year at Christmas. I use Crazy Richard's peanut butter (contains only peanuts...nothing else)..smooth or chunky..either works great. Oh, and I just use a wooden spoon (don't bother with a mixer).

Peanut Butter Cookies
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions
    In a large mixing bowl beat peanut butter and butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Cover and refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape dough in 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies by making crisscross marks with fork tines, dipping fork in sugar between flattening each cookie. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks. Cool. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Edited to adjust a few ingredients...on-line recipe was slightly different than my cookbook, so I adjusted it to reflect my cookbook, as I've made that recipe and trust it!
    Once upon a timey wimey....We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast