We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The "let's eat healthy, cheaply, and yummy" thread of awesome support!

Thanks
    Thanked 49,133 Times in 19,714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    Here is my favorite, that I make every year at Christmas. I use Crazy Richard's peanut butter (contains only peanuts...nothing else)..smooth or chunky..either works great. Oh, and I just use a wooden spoon (don't bother with a mixer).

Peanut Butter Cookies
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions
    In a large mixing bowl beat peanut butter and butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Cover and refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape dough in 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies by making crisscross marks with fork tines, dipping fork in sugar between flattening each cookie. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks. Cool. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
    Can I add chocolate chips to this without hurting anything?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tscreener For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tscreener View Post
    Can I add chocolate chips to this without hurting anything?
    If you do, I would suggest mini chocolate chips. This cookie is pretty "crumbly" so big chocolate chips may make them fall apart. This cookie is kind of like a shortbread cookie. A melted chocolate topping would be good, though! But mini chips would probably work.
    Once upon a timey wimey....We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:

Anyone want to share their favorite peanut butter cookie recipe with me? Not healthy, but I'm always looking for a good one.
    I grew up making them this way. This is good for the celiac/gluten free group of people but still very high in calories

1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup sugar - brown sugar is better but white works
    1 egg

mix and drop heaping tablespoon full at a time on a cookie sheet and make the hatch marks with a fork. I pretty much cook almost everything at 350 so lol...bake until just starting to get a little brown. Let them cool a minute or two before taking off pan and cool on racks

Very rich and so gooey and yummy

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarlsBored For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay...chilling now

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tscreener For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@Rosemary these are some the best peanut butter cookies I've made. Definitely a keeper on the recipe.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tscreener For This Useful Post:

@Rosemary these are some the best peanut butter cookies I've made. Definitely a keeper on the recipe.
    Wow, that was fast! I'm so glad you like them. They've been my hubby's favorite cookie for many years, and I make them for him every Christmas and Valentine's day. I got the recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I bought with green stamps (are you old enough to remember them?) in the 1980s! That book actually taught me a lot about cooking. Unfortunately it has a lot of recipes with Crisco, which I don't use any more, but that recipe is directly from the cookbook and I'm happy it uses butter instead of Crisco.
    Once upon a timey wimey....We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    Wow, that was fast! I'm so glad you like them. They've been my hubby's favorite cookie for many years, and I make them for him every Christmas and Valentine's day. I got the recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I bought with green stamps (are you old enough to remember them?) in the 1980s! That book actually taught me a lot about cooking. Unfortunately it has a lot of recipes with Crisco, which I don't use any more, but that recipe is directly from the cookbook and I'm happy it uses butter instead of Crisco.
    Yep! Old enough for sure

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tscreener For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I'm on the keto way of eating too. Started 3 weeks ago and down 11lbs! Tonight I'm doing chicken tenders smeared with mayo, topped with parmesan and baked and a salad on the side It's fun once you get the hang of it.
    I really need to research this whole Keto thing. Ive seen so many post IG, FB etc of people talking about a Keto diet and I have no idea what its all about

Quote Originally Posted by mzcruzlife View Post
    I really need to research this whole Keto thing. Ive seen so many post IG, FB etc of people talking about a Keto diet and I have no idea what its all about
    Here's a really brilliant explanation of it for beginners. I'm loving it. Down 15 lbs since the beginning of March. I first couple of weeks were the big losses, mostly water weight, but I'm steadily losing 2+ lbs each week which encourages me to stick at it.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Here's a really brilliant explanation of it for beginners. I'm loving it. Down 15 lbs since the beginning of March. I first couple of weeks were the big losses, mostly water weight, but I'm steadily losing 2+ lbs each week which encourages me to stick at it.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
    I have been eating low carb since my freshman year in high school. It originally was a diet to loose 30 pounds, which I lost 10 at a time throughout high school.
    Now it is not a diet for me, it is a way of eating. I have diabetes on both sides of my family, I am the only one of my sisters (I have 3 sisters) who is not pre-diabetic.

I love this for dinner:
    Ingredients

servingsUSMetric
    1½ lbs chicken thighs or chicken breasts
    3½ oz. red pesto or green pesto
    12?3 cups heavy whipping cream
    8 tablespoons pitted olives
    ½ lb feta cheese, diced
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    salt and pepper
    butter, for frying
    For serving
    1?3 lb leafy greens
    olive oil
    sea salt
    Print recipe
    Nutrition

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
    Cut the chicken thighs or filets into pieces. Season with salt and pepper and fry in butter until golden brown.
    Mix pesto and heavy cream in a bowl.
    Place the fried chicken pieces in a baking dish together with olives, feta cheese and garlic. Add the pesto.
    Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes, until the dish turns bubbly and light brown around the edges.
    Tip!

A simple side dish of field greens or crunchy romaine complements the rich flavors. Or, lightly sautéed asparagus or green beans work, too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to librarian50 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123