We typically are NOT getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. We need your help! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Call for Comments: Paying minimum wage on online labor platforms

Thanks
    Thanked 6,653 Times in 2,156 Posts

Call for Comments: Paying minimum wage on online labor platforms

Should online labor platforms have minimum wages? What should they be? How should they be enforced? Should workers on the same platform in different countries have different minimum wages? Are different minimum wage schemes needed for different kinds of platforms?

The German Metalworkers’ Union (IG Metall) and the European Trade Union Institute (ETUI) invite comments on the topic of minimum wages on online labor platforms from any interested parties, especially workers, clients, platform operators, researchers, journalists, trade unionists, and policy makers. The comments will be circulated among workers, clients, platform operators, trade unionists, and policy makers. The goal of the project is to develop and disseminate a nuanced view of the applicability of minimum wages in the effort to ensure fair working conditions in online labor platforms.

We seek comments on all aspects of the topic “paying minimum wage(s) on online labor platforms.” We are especially interested in:
    • details and effects of existing minimum wage policies or initiatives (e.g., on Upwork, Prolific Academic, and Mechanical Turk)
    • advantages and disadvantages of various existing or possible global minimum wage schemes (e.g., a single global minimum wage vs. regional or jurisdiction-specific minimum wages)
    • proposals for minimum wage schemes in different kinds of online labor platforms (e.g., microtask markets such as Clickworker, freelance markets such as Upwork, and contest-based platforms such as 99designs)
    • discussions of conditions under which minimum wage schemes may not be appropriate in online labor platforms
    • technical and organizational implementation details, including measures for addressing “cheating” by clients or workers
    • We are especially interested in minimum wage policies on platforms acting as intermediaries for work conducted remotely and delivered over the internet, but we also welcome discussions of minimum wage policies on platforms for in-person work where wages are not easily regulated by local governments.

Comments may be submitted in any reasonable format (e.g., email, TXT or ODT file, Microsoft Word document, PDF) and should be:
    • between 250 and 3000 words (not including footnotes and references),
    • written in English, French, or German, and
    • emailed to minwage@platformwork.org by 15 June 2017.
    It's all good.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

I think you should! I have found that $6/hr is an acceptable rate, but what is the average rate paid? How many workers are being underpaid!? What should the minimum rate be based on? Should every country have a different rate?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TotalHelpMeSing For This Useful Post:

I made a post just yesterday about pay.

$6 hour although under USA federal current minimum wage (7.25 USD/hr) 6 is ok albeit low unless you count the time we're still using amazons product and just sitting at the computer waiting. Sure you can do penny batches during this time but hey my approval rate is great and batch hits are risky even with good requesters you might misinterpret something and get 15 rejections. Anyway, about what i posted about pay, basically I suggest $1-2 per hour up to 40 hours a week (or 8 hours a day 5 days a week) for idle sitting at computer waiting for hit time.

Yes i literally stare at hitscraper, i dont use youtube or facebook cause i know seconds matter. Basically if you get up and do other stuff if mouse/keys aren't used within X amount of time, hourly idle pay stops. and the 40 hours a week maximum is so people dont stay logged in all the time but i think mouse/key timeout would prevent this anyway. Amazon could pay this maximum $80 a week through charging requesters a little more or just paying out of pocket being we're using their products and not getting paid for half the time were on it. Or accept less workers. A lot more people would talk about brag about working for mturk as well if we got this idle pay or just better pay in general AND FOR GOD'S SAKES GIVE OUT MORE MASTERS!

IDK i know amazon is hands off with workers so prolly a pipe dream.

UNRELATED
    I'm still new and looked into you a little spamgirl (just on this site your profile, not like your bedroom window or something :P) I appreciate you doing this site and know you're a long time "gig economy" user like me (before this weird term ever existed). I havent been a turker as long as you, but have done gig economy stuff since its inception in the mid-late 90's. So turk is just the same thing but more organized and you dont get screened out of surveys near as much Wanted to give a shout out to your homeland of Canada because although I've never been there I love Canadian television, specifically scifi. Enter you go spamgirl! cliche here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PatrickBatman For This Useful Post: