Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is everyone arts and crafting? Post pics and let's chat and get inspired!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,974 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sniksnak View Post
    Catching up, catching up! (also I need to put this on watch...)

@louwho - So. Cute. I really want to make another hat with ears XP Also, I can't quite see the stitches - how do you get heart shaped feet on that bear? Slip stitch a time or two in the pad to get the dip?

I have this issue with gauge, and the mistaken belief that hat patterns are going to be too small and look dorky (even though I don't have a particularly large head.) Thus all my hats fall over my eyes if I lean forwards, and walking about is an adventure in "what's happening more than three feet in front of me?

@Remy - So adorable! It reminds me of a sewing project from Home Ec back in the day, though of course mine was... rough... You designed the dog yourself too? Having no artistic abilities in that direction, you are like a magical unicorn of talent

@Mills - That looks like such a cozy scarf, with interesting texture, which is always the best part! I love the cat bed - my finishing never works out, but it's definitely something I want to try. Actually, now you point me to that site, crates could solve several problems I've been having... hmmm...

@RippedWarrior - Gah, that is so totally my style, distressed, vaguely steampunk furniture is my weakness. Even better when it's intensely practical (though I'm still waiting for the day powering things will be cord-free.)

@LovieMuppet - Easy?!? Maybe I just haven't knitted in a while, I can't figure it out! Super pretty and cozy looking though, definitely a blanket to keep forever, not just baby years
    It looks a lot more complicated than it is, I promise. I don't do anything too complicated for baby blankets so I can be lazy and knit them while I watch TV! LOL.

---------- Post Merged at 10:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    @LovieMuppet Seeing your post Just got me to realize your sheep avatar is made of yarn balls! They're both super cute
    Haha! Yes, I came across it while searching for knitting memes!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LovieMuppet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LovieMuppet View Post
    It looks a lot more complicated than it is, I promise. I don't do anything too complicated for baby blankets so I can be lazy and knit them while I watch TV! LOL.
    Also I guess anything too complicated and time-investy might feel awkward when the baby spits up all over it XP If I had any use at all for baby blankets, I'd love to make one once and again - most everything I do are toys, which I crochet fairly tight into a stiffer fabric to avoid holes, and I miss the feeling of a soft flexible fabric. Almost feels like a waste of half-decent yarn (though acrylic)...

On the other hand, it does remind me of the Minecraft Creeper Blanket I toyed with making, such as http://lillim00.deviantart.com/art/C...tern-409065077
    Though I really also like the plain green http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...er-face-afghan

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sniksnak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Also I guess anything too complicated and time-investy might feel awkward when the baby spits up all over it XP If I had any use at all for baby blankets, I'd love to make one once and again - most everything I do are toys, which I crochet fairly tight into a stiffer fabric to avoid holes, and I miss the feeling of a soft flexible fabric. Almost feels like a waste of half-decent yarn (though acrylic)...

On the other hand, it does remind me of the Minecraft Creeper Blanket I toyed with making, such as http://lillim00.deviantart.com/art/C...tern-409065077
    Though I really also like the plain green http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...er-face-afghan
    Those are super cute! One of my go-to gifts for showers and people having babies are definitely blankets. I usually do big ones for weddings too. Although, I think my favorite wedding present I knit was a Christmas tree skirt. It was hard giving that one away. LOL.

I just learned to crochet last year, after years and years of it just not "clicking". It goes SO much faster than knitting. But I really love the look of certain things when they are knit. But crochet stuffed animals are the best. Here's one I made for my little Paw Patrol fan.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LovieMuppet For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Those are super cute! One of my go-to gifts for showers and people having babies are definitely blankets. I usually do big ones for weddings too. Although, I think my favorite wedding present I knit was a Christmas tree skirt. It was hard giving that one away. LOL.

I just learned to crochet last year, after years and years of it just not "clicking". It goes SO much faster than knitting. But I really love the look of certain things when they are knit. But crochet stuffed animals are the best. Here's one I made for my little Paw Patrol fan.
    Aww, that's so cute! There's something so special about projects when they have an expression and you can squash them

I actually prefer the look of knitted toys, but it just takes too long and trying to use dpns without laddering or overtightening is beyond my skill set. Also no dropped stitches, or losing them off the ends of needles!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sniksnak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Aww, that's so cute! There's something so special about projects when they have an expression and you can squash them

I actually prefer the look of knitted toys, but it just takes too long and trying to use dpns without laddering or overtightening is beyond my skill set. Also no dropped stitches, or losing them off the ends of needles!
    I was so excited to learn to crochet just for the stuffed animals. But I crochet kind of loose, so I should have doubled up on my yarn for the Rocky dog or gone down a hook or two. He loves it though.

I really, really, really, hate sewing things together, which is kind of a requirement for a lot of the stuffed animals. After I made a few, I really don't want to do them anymore. My sister-in-law asked me to make her kids a Paw Patrol dog and I told her she'd have to pay me. LOL! I still add the stuffies to my favorites on ravelry, though.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LovieMuppet For This Useful Post:

I was so excited to learn to crochet just for the stuffed animals. But I crochet kind of loose, so I should have doubled up on my yarn for the Rocky dog or gone down a hook or two. He loves it though.

I really, really, really, hate sewing things together, which is kind of a requirement for a lot of the stuffed animals. After I made a few, I really don't want to do them anymore. My sister-in-law asked me to make her kids a Paw Patrol dog and I told her she'd have to pay me. LOL! I still add the stuffies to my favorites on ravelry, though.
    Eh, "errors" make them special!

Yeah, I can't stand sewing them, especially since the direction changes abruptly and looks strange. There are a few ways around that: Designs where the tops of the limbs/the bottoms of ears are flat, so you just "sew" them in as you crochet a row (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...-baby-elephant - uses that everywhere, I think there's zero actual stitching.)

That also uses short rows, which I'm trying to get into - they allow you to shape in better ways, and so get similar shapes to the ones where you "sew on" bits, in one piece.

Or "one piece" designs. Usually this means that, for example, http://www.allaboutami.com/elephant/ - so instead of sewing, you just crochet. (Basically do the same thing when making the fingers for gloves, I believe.)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,434 Times in 4,075 Posts

Nah, it'd feel like cheating to look at the pattern XP (I'm very into writing my own right now. Also very into short row shaping and basically "one piece" designs. Spent Friday holding a ruler up to my monitor, feeling like a tailor as I measured every dimension of Hobbes, from Calvin and Hobbes (the stuff toy version, not the living version). Not nearly as hard as I thought, though he's also going to be much larger than I thought, so hopefully he comes out okay...)
    That's awesome! I've haven't tried to write or design my own yet; however, I do make changes to just about every pattern I've seen. Do you sell yours or just do it for you? I must see your Hobbes when you are finished.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to louwho For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by louwho View Post
    That's awesome! I've haven't tried to write or design my own yet; however, I do make changes to just about every pattern I've seen. Do you sell yours or just do it for you? I must see your Hobbes when you are finished.
    It's a new endeavor, previously I just made a few things, that were mostly proof of concept for a project that never went forwards: (a little squirrel, and an acorn earbud holder that actually came out looking really good.) I just give away stuff I make using other people's designs, even if I mod them.

I'm not really sure how to sell things, apart from craft shows and flea markets (grew up in them since my mum had that sort of business). I don't think the plushie market is very good, especially since I don't want to go to the bother to make them specifically child-safe. And fandom'y stuff is technically not kosher.

I have some ideas for quilled jewelry though, which could do okay. It just feels like I need to embed myself socially in the crafting world, network and market a ton to get anywhere, plus probably build up a blog and brand, which is just... A LOT of sustained time and energy, which historically I've been very very bad at.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sniksnak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,434 Times in 4,075 Posts

It's a new endeavor, previously I just made a few things, that were mostly proof of concept for a project that never went forwards: (a little squirrel, and an acorn earbud holder that actually came out looking really good.) I just give away stuff I make using other people's designs, even if I mod them.

I'm not really sure how to sell things, apart from craft shows and flea markets (grew up in them since my mum had that sort of business). I don't think the plushie market is very good, especially since I don't want to go to the bother to make them specifically child-safe. And fandom'y stuff is technically not kosher.

I have some ideas for quilled jewelry though, which could do okay. It just feels like I need to embed myself socially in the crafting world, network and market a ton to get anywhere, plus probably build up a blog and brand, which is just... A LOT of sustained time and energy, which historically I've been very very bad at.
    I understand. I have a small online shop and sales come and go in spurts. It can be a hassle trying to keep track what is trending and change up what I am making. One of the problems, like you said, is branding and being at the bottom of the search engine. If you get confident in your patterns, you could sell them online and not have much overhead, etc at all. Always a demand for patterns and they can be downloaded so no need for the hassle of mailing. If you ever want to give it a try, I am willing to test out your own written pattern/s to see how it goes.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to louwho For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by louwho View Post
    I understand. I have a small online shop and sales come and go in spurts. It can be a hassle trying to keep track what is trending and change up what I am making. One of the problems, like you said, is branding and being at the bottom of the search engine. If you get confident in your patterns, you could sell them online and not have much overhead, etc at all. Always a demand for patterns and they can be downloaded so no need for the hassle of mailing. If you ever want to give it a try, I am willing to test out your own written pattern/s to see how it goes.
    Yeah, Ravelry makes pattern selling easy too XP And I can give away any bits and bobs, and at least have them written and get to know some people that way.

Oh yay! I'll totes use you I'm still trying to figure out a personal style, is my biggest hurdle - my tendency is realistic, but that's been done a lot :/ Actually, what I've been thinking about lately is using plarn (yarn made of cut up plastic bags) to make symbolic/simple animals (Native American inspired?) - sort of a conservation theme. I want to stuff them with non-melting packing peanuts

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sniksnak For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast