We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Peter Thiel, Trump and Facebook vs Cambridge Analytica?s Steve Bannon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,470 Times in 2,098 Posts

Peter Thiel, Trump and Facebook vs Cambridge Analytica?s Steve Bannon

To be clear, the reported suggestion here is that although Facebook and its users allowed personality profiles to be trawled for academic research purposes, the Cambridge Analytica parent company took that data and used it commercially for their political site. They also reportedly crawled into the profiles of friends of users who took their quizzes and paid surveys ? without any permission at all.

Kogan established his own company in spring that year and began working with SCL to deliver a ?large research project? in the US. His stated aim was to get as close to every US Facebook user into the dataset as possible.

The academic used Amazon?s crowdsourcing marketplace Mechanical Turk (MTurk) to access a large pool of Facebook profiles, hoovering up tens of thousands of individuals? demographic data ? names, locations, birthdays, genders ? as well as their Facebook ?likes?, which offer a range of personal insights.

https://heatst.com/tech/peter-thiel-...-steve-bannon/
    It's all good.

I'm just curious: as a researcher, I'm interested in writing a web app that would do the opposite of this. Would Turkers volunteer their Facebook profiles to help diagnose and help people with mental illness?

My HITs would be very explicit about each piece of information that would be collected, exactly how collected information would be used, and that all identifying information would be automatically deleted by the program.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,470 Times in 2,098 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gserapio View Post
    I'm just curious: as a researcher, I'm interested in writing a web app that would do the opposite of this. Would Turkers volunteer their Facebook profiles to help diagnose and help people with mental illness?
    It's against the terms of service on AMT to do this. The account in the above article was suspended as a result. mTurk isn't the place for it.
    It's all good.