We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Requester Question on Alternatives to HIT Pay Reduction

Researcher
    Thanks

Requester Question on Alternatives to HIT Pay Reduction

Hi! My name is Annabel, and I'm a requester on MTurk (http://turkopticon.ucsd.edu/A3HB3KPJ2RZ2K8). I'm on here to ask you guys how I can make my HITs more efficient so I can keep running them. Right now, my funding is becoming a bit limited, but our project still needs a lot more information. Each HIT currently pays $0.50. I was advised to lower this amount to $0.20, but I am trying to avoid this.

Right now, the HIT consists of 10 comparisons. Each comparison asks people to compare two sentences with each other, and to select the sentence that is the most important one. The sentence that is selected the most amount of times by people is the most important sentence. In short, we need to know how important each sentence is compared to another sentence.

I do have an idea to address this (change the task so that people compare groups of sentences with each other so we get more data, and slightly increase the base pay), but was wondering whether there were other ways out there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabel For This Useful Post:

SAJ

Thanks
    Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,008 Posts

Hi Annabel, thank you for posting great HITs.

It pains me to suggest ways to reduce pay, but I can appreciate your situation. You have always paid very well for your tasks.

Is there a reason you limit to 10 comparisons? I believe you could increase the number of comparisons and pay less per comparison.

For example, 40 comparisons for $1. That $1 threshold is a psychological threshold for workers and would be very attractive.

There will be some grumblings (there always is when requesters reduce pay), but you have to do what you have to do. People enjoy your HITs and will still do them.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RippedWarrior For This Useful Post:

Researcher
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RippedWarrior View Post
    Hi Annabel, thank you for posting great HITs.

It pains me to suggest ways to reduce pay, but I can appreciate your situation. You have always paid very well for your tasks.

Is there a reason you limit to 10 comparisons? I believe you could increase the number of comparisons and pay less per comparison.

For example, 40 comparisons for $1. That $1 threshold is a psychological threshold for workers and would be very attractive.

There will be some grumblings (there always is when requesters reduce pay), but you have to do what you have to do. People enjoy your HITs and will still do them.
    Hi, RippedWarrior!

Thanks for working on my HITs! I'm also glad to hear from someone who's done them before (was hoping to hear from you guys!). I will consider the possibility of increasing the amount of comparisons within a task as a potential option. Putting up a HIT for $1 is also a good idea as well.

I'm planning on compiling a list of options and then asking MTurkers on the next batch of HITs what they think!

EDIT: Forgot to mention: I'll be outputting another batch this weekend (at the same price) to hopefully reach out to all of the MTurkers who usually work on my HITs to ask for their input too. Feel free to just repeat your suggestions there in the box if you decide to do it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabel For This Useful Post:

SAJ