We are no where close to paying our June server bill. If you can help, please do! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: First Dang Rejection - Any Insight Appreciated

First Dang Rejection - Any Insight Appreciated

Well, it happened

405 approved hits and 1 REJECTION. Really wanted to get to 1,000 HITS before this happened but I guess it's inevitable.

A couple questions and any thoughts appreciated.

How often do rejections lead to blocks? Does Amazon always notify you via email when you get blocked?

What approval rating are we ultimately aiming for (where you won't be disqualified for almost any HIT on that basis)?

Is anything over 98% OK or are we really looking for 99% and above? I do see what most requesters are looking for but some are asking for 100% which is disheartening...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fannugi View Post
    How often do rejections lead to blocks?
    No way to know this. It would be up to the individual requester. Many requesters will approved everything (or let everything auto-approve) and then go ahead and block people. We see reports of this all the time on Turkopticon - where people will say all their work was approved and then they were blocked.

Does Amazon always notify you via email when you get blocked?
    Nope. Many workers have perpetuated a myth in that there is a distinction between a "hard" block and a "soft" block. In reality, requesters only have 1 choice - block workers. There is no "hard" or "soft" blocks. However, these same workers have decided that if they get an email from Amazon it is a "hard" block, and if they don't it is a "soft" block. The block system has been tested by worker-requesters, and there seems to be no pattern or trigger as to when a worker will receive an email about a block.

What approval rating are we ultimately aiming for (where you won't be disqualified for almost any HIT on that basis)?

Is anything over 98% OK or are we really looking for 99% and above? I do see what most requesters are looking for but some are asking for 100% which is disheartening...
    You should strive for 99%. Over the long run, this is easy to maintain. (Personally, I have 193 rejections. It would take several thousand rejections to drop me below 99%). Requesters who ask for 100% either a) are only looking for brand-new workers, or b) don't understand how MTurk works. As soon as you get 1 rejection you will not be eligible for HITs that require 100% (even though your dashboard may still say 100% since Amazon rounds-up the numbers on your dashboard). Everyone eventually gets rejections. Even if you do perfect work, there are scammer requesters out there that will just reject everything.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RippedWarrior For This Useful Post:

Thank you! This is exactly the information I was looking for and very thorough!

Two quick suggestions:
    1) Always contact the requester and nicely ask why HIT was rejected, and politely ask if it can be reversed. (click on the arrow next to the requester name and you can send a message direct from MTurk, do this from the "Your Account" tab from the actual rejected HIT) Some requesters are very good at getting back to you, some are not. Some rejections I have gotten were the requesters mistake and quickly reversed. Some I explained to them how I did the HIT and they have reversed. Keep in mind, the time it takes to do this is time you could be working on HITS, but for a couple minutes it can make a difference.
    2) Always check TurkOpticon, where the 'fairness' category is for rejection rates. Avoid requesters that reject often. If you get rejected, share it on TurkOpticon so others know. Some may be scams, but there are also some that expect alot for 5 cents, so don't give them your work for free!
    Hope this helps!