We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: How to reject while using the Categorization template

Thanks
    Thanked 6,409 Times in 2,077 Posts

How to reject while using the Categorization template

As both a Requester and a Turker, I was torn on posting this, but we have to punish those who take advantage of the idea that categorization HITs can't be rejected.

Requesters: if you have a REALLY BAD SCAMMER doing your HITs, and it's been less than an hour since they did them, go to your batch in the GUI and click "Manage HITs Individually". Find the HIT the scammer did and click "Review Results". You can approve or reject there.
    It's all good.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spamgirl View Post
    As both a Requester and a Turker, I was torn on posting this, but we have to punish those who take advantage of the idea that categorization HITs can't be rejected.

Requesters: if you have a REALLY BAD SCAMMER doing your HITs, and it's been less than an hour since they did them, go to your batch in the GUI and click "Manage HITs Individually". Find the HIT the scammer did and click "Review Results". You can approve or reject there.

OR a requester can set up a specific qual if they want quality results.

Some requesters posting categorization HITs don't provide proper explanation and examples. Any requesters posting any categorization could potentially reject any HITs if they don't like your result (like they don't care if it is ambiguous or not)

I personally think Categorization qual is not really clear cut. Some requesters don't have a clue. A REALLY BAD SCAMMER? I think mturk system is the one to be blame. How can he/she/they get categorization qual?

This post may be helpful, but it makes me think twice now of doing any categorization HITs because I don't know what kind of requesters I am dealing with.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to garson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garson View Post
    This post may be helpful, but it makes me think twice now of doing any categorization HITs because I don't know what kind of requesters I am dealing with.
    Truth: if I see a Requester using the Categorization template, I'd avoid it anyway - the pay will be crap as Amazon sets the rate automatically.
    It's all good.

Truth: if I see a Requester using the Categorization template, I'd avoid it anyway - the pay will be crap as Amazon sets the rate automatically.
    I thought requesters can change it to how long they want to pay with warning of 'low quality results', lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garson View Post
    I thought requesters can change it to how long they want to pay with warning of 'low quality results', lol.
    I checked the other day and it told me what to pay, and any Requester using that shitty, uncustomizable template is lazy enough to just roll with it. I didn't see if I could change the pay though.
    It's all good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 965 Posts

They can reject - if they are right on top of things and and watching as you submit. The 1-hour auto-approval can't be changed
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

I checked the other day and it told me what to pay, and any Requester using that shitty, uncustomizable template is lazy enough to just roll with it. I didn't see if I could change the pay though.
    So, this means that mturk no longer allows requesters to pay 1 cent for categorization HITs. Is this correct? Would 2 cents be the minimum?

Thanks

When I try to set it to 1c it says:

We recommend paying Workers a minimum reward of $0.02 per submission. This minimum recommended award was calculated based on the reward of similar projects. You may pay Workers any reward you think is appropriate. However, Workers often choose to work on higher paying items and may choose not to work on your items if your price is too low.

Are you sure you want to pay Workers less than the recommended minimum reward?

BUT I can set it to 1c, or higher than 2c per HIT too.

And so their recommendation is 2c per HIT for categorization HITs... that's $6/hour or less.
    It's all good.