Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Not sure what I'm doing wrong (test batch), want to do for 16,000 records

Not sure what I'm doing wrong (test batch), want to do for 16,000 records

Hi all,

I am looking to categorize my company's business database - over the years no-one has categorized much in the system and now I come in as the new marketing guy and want to analyze our customers by categories. I have previously done tasks (turker) on MTurk years ago, as well as created my own projects in the past (requester).

I have 16,000 records to categorize. Currently I have set up a test batch of about 80 records and am wondering if I set something incorrectly or if I am just impatient. Any help would be appreciated!

Design so far:
    - Used type "Survey" with radio buttons as a workaround - the "categorize" task limits to 10 categories and I have more like 20-25 critical ones.
    - Set only one worker per task, .01 a task
    -Published a batch of 80 test records
    -Have received two completes - have I incorrectly set something to not allow multiple assignments per worker or are people abandoning my task?
    - Does the Survey type of HIT prevent workers from completing multiple records for me??

Any advice is much appreciated, I am sure there are folks on here much more experienced at this than me :/

Thanks
    Thanked 51,355 Times in 20,529 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nnnudibranch View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking to categorize my company's business database - over the years no-one has categorized much in the system and now I come in as the new marketing guy and want to analyze our customers by categories. I have previously done tasks (turker) on MTurk years ago, as well as created my own projects in the past (requester).

I have 16,000 records to categorize. Currently I have set up a test batch of about 80 records and am wondering if I set something incorrectly or if I am just impatient. Any help would be appreciated!

Design so far:
    - Used type "Survey" with radio buttons as a workaround - the "categorize" task limits to 10 categories and I have more like 20-25 critical ones.
    - Set only one worker per task, .01 a task
    -Published a batch of 80 test records
    -Have received two completes - have I incorrectly set something to not allow multiple assignments per worker or are people abandoning my task?
    - Does the Survey type of HIT prevent workers from completing multiple records for me??

Any advice is much appreciated, I am sure there are folks on here much more experienced at this than me :/
    Have you completed one of these yourself? How long do they take you? For .01 folks pretty much expect one click and a few seconds from start to finish with quick approval and very low chance of rejection. I'm not a requester, so I'm coming at this from the worker end and don't exactly understand your criteria, but are you limiting these to one per worker? If so, that would be a major drawback.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tscreener For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 Times in 593 Posts

A link to your tasks and/or requester ID would help you get a more informed response.

From what you have provided so far, I would say your tasks are underpaid and that is why you are not seeing the desired results. With all due respect, if this information is important to you and your company, I would suggest you consider investing far more than $200.00 in obtaining the information.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,016 Times in 2,675 Posts

I agree that without knowing your Requester Name or looking at the hit itself, it's difficult to determine why you haven't seen results. Would you be able to provide that info so that we can go look at the hit, maybe work it and let you know what may be the reason?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,017 Posts

Hi nnnudibranch, thanks for posting.

Did you set up the HIT using a csv file with 80 rows and incorporating a variable into your HIT? This is how you will achieve multiple tasks per worker. If you used the "number of unique assignments" setting in the GUI, that will only allow 1 HIT per worker.

> Used type "Survey" with radio buttons as a workaround - the "categorize" task limits to 10 categories and I have more like 20-25 critical ones.

This is good. The "categorize" task only lets you use master workers (a marketing scam designed to separate you from your money with no benefits in return), does not let you reject poor submissions, and does not let you add any other qualification criteria.

>Set only one worker per task, .01 a task

.01 is only appropriate for a 1-click task that takes less than 4 seconds to complete. If it requires any sort of thinking, it should pay more.

> Does the Survey type of HIT prevent workers from completing multiple records for me??

No. You can allow workers to complete multiple records by uploading a csv and creating a "batch" of HITs.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RippedWarrior For This Useful Post: