Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Any other bakers?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,724 Times in 3,267 Posts

Any other bakers?

I mainly bake cupcakes (my friends can't get enough of them), but I also love making naked cakes and playing around with variations on chocolate chip cookies. My favorites I have made so far have been a devil's food cupcake with a dark cherry in the center and vanilla cream cheese frosting, and a pupcake - which is for the pups in our lives, made of whole wheat flour, carrots, honey, and peanut butter, with a cream cheese, honey, and peanut butter frosting.

What's your favorite baked good?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cupcakemenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cupcakemenace View Post
    I mainly bake cupcakes (my friends can't get enough of them), but I also love making naked cakes and playing around with variations on chocolate chip cookies. My favorites I have made so far have been a devil's food cupcake with a dark cherry in the center and vanilla cream cheese frosting, and a pupcake - which is for the pups in our lives, made of whole wheat flour, carrots, honey, and peanut butter, with a cream cheese, honey, and peanut butter frosting.

What's your favorite baked good?
    I love fresh chocolate chip cookies! I am such a terrible baker though that I usually just get them from my favorite bakery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzkemler1 View Post
    I love fresh chocolate chip cookies! I am such a terrible baker though that I usually just get them from my favorite bakery
    But they are sooooo easy!

Hi there @cupcakemenace! Yes I love to bake! I have been baking ever since I was a kid. It was a form of entertainment for my best friend and I, and we experimented with lots of different recipes. With many years of experience, I'm at the point now where I rarely use a recipe, and I don't even measure ingredients. I can pretty much make anything by just throwing together things.

I used to host Christmas cookie exchange parties, where about 6 friends would make their cookie dough at home, and then everyone would bring the dough to my house to bake it. Each person brought two or three different kinds of dough, usually in double or triple batches, and we would spend the entire day baking. It was a blast! We'd have quiche and mimosas, and bake all day. One year we made 102 dozen cookies!

Lately I've been trying to make healthier versions of baked goods, like healthier brownies or cookies. So I'm experimenting with swapping out ingredients, like using apple sauce or bananas for some of the sugar, black beans or garbanzo beans for some of the flour, adding Greek yogurt for protein, etc.

Today I'm baking a cheesecake for a party this weekend. To make it lower carb, I'm not doing a graham cracker crust, but instead plan to use chopped walnuts as the base. We'll see!

Your cupcakes sound awesome! Maybe we can share some baking ideas!
    Once upon a timey wimey....We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oooh, chopped walnuts as the base sounds amazing!

I still have to measure, and when making cakes and cupcakes I actually cheat a lot and doctor up boxed mixes (actually, a lot of pros do it too). I always use applesauce or greek yogurt in place of oil in my cake batters, I find the cakes taste soooo much better. Though I do have some vintage recipes that call for shortening, and well, there is no replacement for that!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cupcakemenace For This Useful Post: