We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Updating an OLD laptop to use for turking... suggestions?

Thanks

Question Updating an OLD laptop to use for turking... suggestions?

So a friend of mine donated an old laptop to me. It is a Compaq Presario V5206NR specs found here>http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...ent/c00700139/. As of right now it is running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. So far everything seems to be in working order. My problem is that I plan to use this dinosaur only for Turking. Unfortunately it does not support Google Chrome, which has always been my browser preference. It can, however support Firefox. Will this cause me any problems on MTurk? My only other option is to get my hands on a copy of Vista, which doesn't seem to be that great of an option in the first place. Also I do not have a recovery disk either, although I'm fairly certain I could burn one using my desktop, as reformatting the hard drive seems like a good idea. Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 951 Posts

Firefox works as well as Chrome for turking. There's also Vivaldi.

I see your laptop has 500MG of RAM, but will support up to 2GB. I think you'll see a huge jump in performance if you upgrade your RAM, maybe try kijiji or a pawnshop, or even the dump for a discarded laptop you can scavenge some RAM from.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DamageD0ne View Post
    So a friend of mine donated an old laptop to me. It is a Compaq Presario V5206NR specs found here>http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...ent/c00700139/. As of right now it is running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. So far everything seems to be in working order. My problem is that I plan to use this dinosaur only for Turking. Unfortunately it does not support Google Chrome, which has always been my browser preference. It can, however support Firefox. Will this cause me any problems on MTurk? My only other option is to get my hands on a copy of Vista, which doesn't seem to be that great of an option in the first place. Also I do not have a recovery disk either, although I'm fairly certain I could burn one using my desktop, as reformatting the hard drive seems like a good idea. Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks again!
    An old, donated laptop with minimum ram and no recovery disk. Since you have nothing to lose, I would try installing your favorite flavor of 32-bit linux (like Ubuntu or Mint) instead. By the way, 500 MB of RAM is horrible even for running WinXP; right now, the laptop is being forced to use the hard drive as virtual memory resulting in even slower performance. When you first get into windows, immediately go to task manager and check to see how much memory is being used before launching any other programs like Firefox.