We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Windows 10 upgrade + Turking- your thoughts ?

Thanks

Cool Windows 10 upgrade + Turking- your thoughts ?

Hi everyone (:

I'm wondering if anyone else will be upgrading to Windows 10 after Wednesday, and how you all think it will benefit or hinder our Turking?

I didn't like Windows 8 on PC (I've always had Windows Phones and I like WP8.1 on my phone, but not PC). However, Windows 10 seems like it'll be a benefit for turking, especially batches and opening other windows/tabs are necessary. One thing I'm very interested in from Windows 10 is Snap Assist - that we'll be able to snap together 4 windows to one screen. Especially on tasks that require 2 or more more windows/tabs/searches, I think it may be a major time saver..?

I use Windows 7 now and I've found that side by side windows don't usually help or do what I want them to do and I'm limited to only 2. Even using the Nifty Split chrome extension - though helpful - it's still only 2 windows and half the time they don't split or open right. Plus I'm an uncoordinated person and I always end up clicking the wrong stuff. Having this feature, but the (allegedly) better and more efficient version of Windows 10 already built into the OS sounds like a great thing ?

Another feature coming in Windows 10 will be multiple desktops - for anyone planning on doing the upgrade, will the multiple desktops render a 2nd monitor unnecessary for turking , in your opinion?

All in all, it seems to me that Windows 10 will make my turking and my other work easier, but I'd like to hear what you all think about it.. and are you going to do the upgrade, why, etc..?

Thanks all

PS: any and all opinions/thoughts about Windows 10 in general would be great too ((:
    walkerz's biggest fan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nefes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 320 Posts

Back up everything first because you never know what can go wrong. Microsoft claims it will be a painless upgrade but they also said we will love Vista and Win 8 too.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Project 2501 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Project 2501 View Post
    Back up everything first because you never know what can go wrong.
    Absolutely. Also the rule I've always heard is wait for the first Service Pack...or at the very least wait a month or two for all the bugs and dust to settle! I have my copy of Windows 10 reserved as well, but I'm not planning to upgrade for a couple of months at least. I figure I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig for me. Upgrading and/or clean installing Windows means a half-day or even a full day of lost productivity restoring data, sorting out drivers, etc too, so make sure to take that into account. Even a "painless" upgrade is still going to take time that could be spent turking.

Mind you, I'm on Windows 7 on my main/work PC...if you're on Windows 8 and really hate it (I have it on my laptop and it is not my friend), upgrading might still be worth it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Queen of Thorns For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Project 2501 View Post
    Back up everything first because you never know what can go wrong. Microsoft claims it will be a painless upgrade but they also said we will love Vista and Win 8 too.
    Well here's my official review

I did back up everything like you suggested btw (: Surprisingly, it actually was pretty quick and painless. So far, I like it. My only gripe is that Cortana doesn't work as well as she should since I use my laptop in two languages (English and Turkish). It's the same problem I have had on my Windows Phone using it with two languages and Microsoft has ignored it so far, and it seems that they're still ignoring it in Windows 10 as well. I don't try to talk with her in both languages and I stick with English, but apparently using more than one language on mobile and PC confuses Cortana so whatever. Not everyone will have that problem. Besides that, everything is running smoothly and the upgrade took about 30 minutes.

The Edge browser, supposedly the better version of internet explorer, isn't impressing me so far. Especially with my limited Cortana integration. So, I'm still using Chrome. I tried using Edge while doing ebay biddings - works fast enough and fine in chrome - not so great in the edge browser, so it is still slower than Chrome, but I guess they tried xDD

Finding files is easier, imo, using the file explorer. I like that and it's easier than it was using Windows 7 - especially if I ask Cortana to find it for me. I also think finding specific settings is easier using file explorer and Cortana.

All in all, I'm satisfied with it about as much as I was satisfied with Windows 7 and WP 8.1 and probably even a little more. The Cortana issue is really irritating, though. I'm disappointed that they didn't fix that in this upgrade. One thing I was happy with is that I could sync my Windows Phone Cortana to my Windows 10 Cortana so she already knows me but that's about as good as it gets as far as I can tell ((:
    walkerz's biggest fan

Thanks
    Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,471 Posts

I reserved Windows 10 but am terrified to get it. I am one of the oddballs who actually like Windows 8. I also know that changes are risky and that I will lose time backing things up and waiting for the upgrade. I'm also worried about things not working with Windows 10 for a few months so I definitely want to wait.
    Holding little Emily up in prayer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosie The Robot For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

testing123

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adaaaam - banned For This Useful Post: