We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Workaround to Avoid 40% Amazon #mturk fees - Non-API Survey Requesters (full instructions for GUI!)

I'm new to this forum and new to mturk, so please excuse my noobness. Can someone help explain what this is about? I see the goal is to save $, but not sure why/how this will do that? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,971 Times in 2,258 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barona View Post
    I'm new to this forum and new to mturk, so please excuse my noobness. Can someone help explain what this is about? I see the goal is to save $, but not sure why/how this will do that? Thanks.
    This is for Requesters, not workers.
    It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by spamgirl View Post
    This is for Requesters, not workers.
    Yes I'm a requester.

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,503 Posts

Yes I'm a requester.

If you publish surveys using the requester interface and you input 10 or more in the box "Number of assignments per HIT" "How many unique Workers do you want to work on each HIT?" Amazon charges a 40% commission on the publishing instead of the standard commission of 20%. This is directly targeted at survey requesters.

Thanks

Yes I'm a requester.
    I apologize, I misread what you wrote. As Taint said, your fees double if you make a single HIT available to 10 or more workers, as many would do with a survey. In order to ensure you aren't charged double, you use the above workaround.

By the way, please follow the instructions in the private message you received titled "URGENT! PLEASE READ!" in order to get full Requester access on this forum.
    It's all good.

Hello, I am a requester and have used the code to avoid the 40% commissions.
    Although the code works, I have an issue with republishing the assignments after rejecting unqualified workers.
    Mturk does not republish the assignments after I make the rejection.
    I did click the box of republishing assignment when I made the rejections, but it did not work after I tried this new code.

Does anyone know what's the potential problem with this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cu343 View Post
    Hello, I am a requester and have used the code to avoid the 40% commissions.
    Although the code works, I have an issue with republishing the assignments after rejecting unqualified workers.
    Mturk does not republish the assignments after I make the rejection.
    I did click the box of republishing assignment when I made the rejections, but it did not work after I tried this new code.

Does anyone know what's the potential problem with this?
    The code shouldn't have anything to do with republishing... it's external code and wouldn't affect whether AMT itself reposted a HIT or not. My recommendation is to just create new HITs to cover what you need done - the code will work on the new batch just as it did the last.
    It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by spamgirl View Post
    I apologize, I misread what you wrote. As Taint said, your fees double if you make a single HIT available to 10 or more workers, as many would do with a survey. In order to ensure you aren't charged double, you use the above workaround.

By the way, please follow the instructions in the private message you received titled "URGENT! PLEASE READ!" in order to get full Requester access on this forum.
    This is a very helpful thread. I'm also a noob and quite interested in reducing costs associated with HITS. Can you please send me this message, as I'm also a new requester. I was referred to your forum as a place to introduce myself as a new requester. Thank you in advance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by comm2220 View Post
    This is a very helpful thread. I'm also a noob and quite interested in reducing costs associated with HITS. Can you please send me this message, as I'm also a new requester. I was referred to your forum as a place to introduce myself as a new requester. Thank you in advance.
    The information is available in the first post in this thread.
    It's all good.

Requester
    Thanks

Hello, I am new to this forum.
    Thank you so much for sharing this, spamgirl!
    For my Master thesis, I need to conduct a survey with at least 200 respondents, so this will definitely help me save money!
    Thank you once again!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chan For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast