Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Workaround to Avoid 40% Amazon #mturk fees - Non-API Survey Requesters (full instructions for GUI!)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,861 Times in 2,214 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sniksnak View Post
    Dumb question, but the Amazon page on fees is a little vague: are requesters charged 40% fees on any bonus given on a task that qualified for a 40% fees by being part of a large(r) batch?

"20% fee on the reward and bonus amount (if any) you pay Workers. HITs with 10 or more assignments will be charged an additional 20% fee on the reward you pay Workers. The minimum fee is $0.01 per assignment or bonus payment."

^My confusion stems from the failure to include "bonus" in the bit in red, though it was defined as distinct one sentence before.
    I believe it is reward in total, so pay and bonuses.
    It's all good.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spamgirl View Post
    I believe it is reward in total, so pay and bonuses.
    And to increase the confusion, a requester reports that it's only charging 20% for bonuses even on batches with 10+ HITs.

IDEK.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sniksnak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sniksnak View Post
    And to increase the confusion, a requester reports that it's only charging 20% for bonuses even on batches with 10+ HITs.

IDEK.
    Such a mess
    It's all good.

Hi, everybody!

Long time Requestor; first time TN Poster.

I'm a little concerned by the disclaimer on the Unique Turker website: "Limitations: Some workers are able to circumvent this script, so please double check submissions for duplicate Worker IDs." If workers already know their way around this script, doesn't that defeat the purpose of it?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aplummer99 For This Useful Post:

Had my concern addressed in PM by spamgirl so wanted to share...

"And if you want to avoid people taking the survey twice, you can put at the start of your survey: "Anyone who answers this survey more than once, meaning anyone who submits more than one of these HITs, will be hard blocked. If you are an honest Turker, DO NOT WORRY: I have a script in place that will stop you from taking the survey more than once. You would have to make a concerted effort to circumvent this script in order to submit this survey more than once, so if you have no intention to do that, you will NOT be blocked." Turkers are petrified of hard blocks, so that should stop them from any funny business. That said, if you are worried, my recommendation is to set your autoaccept time to 30 days and then check for duplicate IDs before approving the survey. Anyone who dupes can be blocked and then have their HITs rejected, then you can repost your survey if you need more respondents.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aplummer99 For This Useful Post:

I don't know for sure sniksnak. Hopefully I will never have to find out but technically if it is tied to a hit that was charged 40% or 45% for masters, then it would be easy to charge that for a bonus as well.

In the past though, paying the additional masters fee you could still send bonuses at 10%

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MturkData For This Useful Post:

Requester
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aplummer99 View Post
    Had my concern addressed in PM by spamgirl so wanted to share...

"And if you want to avoid people taking the survey twice, you can put at the start of your survey: "Anyone who answers this survey more than once, meaning anyone who submits more than one of these HITs, will be hard blocked. If you are an honest Turker, DO NOT WORRY: I have a script in place that will stop you from taking the survey more than once. You would have to make a concerted effort to circumvent this script in order to submit this survey more than once, so if you have no intention to do that, you will NOT be blocked." Turkers are petrified of hard blocks, so that should stop them from any funny business. That said, if you are worried, my recommendation is to set your autoaccept time to 30 days and then check for duplicate IDs before approving the survey. Anyone who dupes can be blocked and then have their HITs rejected, then you can repost your survey if you need more respondents.
    Thanks for sharing this tip generously shared by SG.

Just one precautious thought, though. This may work very well for one-time survey, but it could be problematic for longitudinal surveys, especially if the questions look very similar to each other across different waves of longitudinal surveys. In that case, as soon as Turkers see the very similar questions, they start wonder whether they are doing it the second time, rather than doing a different survey?

Of course, this problem could be dramatic if you are recruiting Turkers from the general AMT population; it won't be much of a problem if you focus on Turkers here at Turker Nation.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shogun_Sean For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun_Sean View Post
    Thanks for sharing this tip generously shared by SG.

Just one precautious thought, though. This may work very well for one-time survey, but it could be problematic for longitudinal surveys, especially if the questions look very similar to each other across different waves of longitudinal surveys. In that case, as soon as Turkers see the very similar questions, they start wonder whether they are doing it the second time, rather than doing a different survey?

Of course, this problem could be dramatic if you are recruiting Turkers from the general AMT population; it won't be much of a problem if you focus on Turkers here at Turker Nation.
    You definitely have to change the wording on longitudinal surveys and be very clear. Something like, "This is the first part of a longitudinal study which will include multiple surveys which we wish for you to take. Please take note of the title of this survey as you may not complete it more than once. If you wish to take another survey we post, such as part two to this survey, be sure to check the title you've written down to ensure you're not actually just retaking this survey by mistake. We have a script in place that will stop you from taking the survey more than once, and the only way you could take it twice is by circumventing that script, so as long as you have no intention to do so, you should not worry about rejections or blocks from us. At the same time, better safe than sorry, which is why we ask for you to note its title, just to give yourself some peace of mind."

And thank you for the last comment, @Shogun_Sean
    It's all good.

Thanks for posting. Does anyone have any sense as to for how long this might still work? I'm guessing Amazon has figured out people are doing this, and will find a way to stop it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SRG8040 View Post
    Thanks for posting. Does anyone have any sense as to for how long this might still work? I'm guessing Amazon has figured out people are doing this, and will find a way to stop it?
    Nope, they don't have the time or resources for that. If you want to take the extra step, they don't seem to care. Ridiculous, yes, but that's Amazon for you.
    It's all good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast