We typically are NOT getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. We need your help! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Workaround to Avoid 40% Amazon #mturk fees - Non-API Survey Requesters (full instructions for GUI!)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,155 Posts

Workaround to Avoid 40% Amazon #mturk fees - Non-API Survey Requesters (full instructions for GUI!)

Instructions from here: http://amazonmechanicalturkworkaroun...ed-amazon.html

For the non API savvy survey requester there is a solution to avoid the 40% commission using the requester interface if you know a little bit of HTML. This will allow you to publish with the standard 20% commission as opposed to the 40% commission that Amazon feels is justified.

1. Go to create new hit in requester interface

2. Select Data Collection

3. Set up your HIT as you normally do, except keep Number of assignments per HIT set at 1 as opposed to setting at the number of participants you want to complete your study. I recommend you NOT use Masters! Use 99% approval with 10,000 HITs approved instead.

4. Click on "Design Layout" and click on the Source button and remove what is in there and replace with:

Code:
    <!-- Bootstrap v3.0.3 -->
    <link href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/mturk-public/bs30/css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet" />
    <section class="container" id="DataCollection" style="margin-bottom:15px; padding: 10px 10px; font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; color:#333333; font-size:0.9em;">
    <div class="row col-xs-12 col-md-12"><!-- Instructions -->
    <div class="panel panel-primary">
    <div class="panel-heading">
    <strong>Note: You may only complete ONE HIT. Please do not queue hits or you will slow down study completion and delay payment.</strong></div>

<div class="panel-body">
    <p>Instructions</p>

<ul>
    	<li>Instruction 1</li>
    	<li>Instruction 2</li>
    	<li>Instruction 3</li>
    </ul>
    </div>
    </div>
    <table>
        <tbody>
          <tr>
            <td><strong>Click the link to take the survey:</strong></td>
            <td>${link}</td>
          </tr>
        </tbody>
    </table>
    <br /><div>
    <label>Worker ID or completion code:</label> <input class="form-control" id="web_url" name="IDcode" placeholder="" type="text" /></div>
    </div>
    </section>
    <!-- close container -->
    <style type="text/css">td {
        font-size:1.0em;
        padding: 5px 5px;
    }
    </style>
    Note: You will want to change the text "Worker ID or completion code" to only include whichever you are using, the ID or a code on your survey.

5. Go here and complete the form so you get and copy the unique script. This script prevents participants from accepting more than one HIT. Paste it into the very beginning of the source code before <!-- Bootstrap v3.0.3 -->

6. In the following code, replace "REPLACE" with the URL of your survey and then copy the entire line:
    Code:
    <a href="REPLACE" target="_blank">Link to survey opens in new tab</a>
    7. Open a spreadsheet program and in cell 1 of row 1 type the word link. Now paste the code you copied in step 6 in every row from 2 to the number of participants you want+1. For example, if you want 100 participants, you would paste that code in the first cell of every row from 2 to 101. MAKE SURE YOU SAVE AS A .CSV FILE NOT AN .XLS! To do this in Excel, choose CSV in the Save as type drop-down menu.

8. Now go back to your browser and click the Source button again and edit using the standard editor to add instructions. Click Preview and then Finish.

9. When you go to Publish, you will have to upload your .csv file, so do so.

If a participant tries to accept more than one hit, they will receive this message: "You have already completed the maximum number of HITs allowed by this requester. Please click 'Return HIT' to avoid any impact on your approval rating." Therefore, they will only be allowed to submit one hit.

Once you get it all set up, it will be easy to just copy and use over and over again, but remember to change your "unique turker" script on new HITs!! Otherwise people who worked on your previous HITs will be totally excluded.

This blog post is concluded.

If you have any questions, please ask in this thread
    It's all good.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Requester
    Thanks

First off, thank you SG for posting this potentially very helpful solution.

Can any requester report here as to whether and how well this workaround solution has worked for you?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shogun_Sean For This Useful Post:

Requester
    Thanks

Yes -- thanks for promoting this. I'm a new academic requester who has been lurking forums and turking a little bit myself for a few months to try to learn the ropes and etiquette before launching my own tasks (surveys) -- curious whether anyone has thoughts on whether this workaround will be either 1) annoying for workers or 2) somehow in violation of amazon's tos.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trees For This Useful Post:

Thanks

a) Annoying for workers is losing Requesters to other sites, we'll suck it up and deal.

b) It is not in any way against the TOS, we've been using similar systems (Qualtrics has this built-in) and had no issues.

And thanks go to that blog, I just reposted the instructions and tweaked them a bit
    It's all good.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun_Sean View Post
    First off, thank you SG for posting this potentially very helpful solution.

Can any requester report here as to whether and how well this workaround solution has worked for you?

Yes it works.

But instead of getting work completed in two hours like before, it took me 6 hours.

More emails to answer as well with people not reading the big bold instructions that I put on the top stating that you can only accept one hit .. . .

But yes it worked and saved me $130 for the study yesterday.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MturkData For This Useful Post:

Requester
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MturkData View Post
    Yes it works.

But instead of getting work completed in two hours like before, it took me 6 hours.

More emails to answer as well with people not reading the big bold instructions that I put on the top stating that you can only accept one hit .. . .

But yes it worked and saved me $130 for the study yesterday.
    Thanks for your information.

The set up of the HITs in this way seems like a bundle of related HITs that are able to monitor a particular Worker ID's submission of one of these HITs in a limited period of time, so that once a worker has submitted one HIT, he/she is disqualified to do any other HITs in this bundle. Is this the basic idea behind the coding?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shogun_Sean For This Useful Post:

Yes that is exactly what happens.

I have used the uniqueturker script on well over 100 different studies before the pricing change and only one time did two workers get through as a repeat. Not sure how that happened, it was probably my error and I had the wrong script in the wrong study. I would say that the script is flawless.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MturkData For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here is a slideshow that shows the whole process: https://docs.google.com/presentation...ent?slide=id.p
    It's all good.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spamgirl View Post
    Here is a slideshow that shows the whole process: https://docs.google.com/presentation...ent?slide=id.p

Thats mmmmm delicious. Ridiculous that Amazon is forcing requesters to do this, but still playing by the rules of their sandbox.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taintturk For This Useful Post:

Dumb question, but the Amazon page on fees is a little vague: are requesters charged 40% fees on any bonus given on a task that qualified for a 40% fees by being part of a large(r) batch?

"20% fee on the reward and bonus amount (if any) you pay Workers. HITs with 10 or more assignments will be charged an additional 20% fee on the reward you pay Workers. The minimum fee is $0.01 per assignment or bonus payment."

^My confusion stems from the failure to include "bonus" in the bit in red, though it was defined as distinct one sentence before.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast