We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: How do you get qualified more more things?

How do you get qualified more more things?

Sorry, I'm going to be bombarding you with questions. I've searched the Amazon FAQ and tried to find the answer here but I can't seem to get any answers. I'm brand new and just started yesterday. Do I have to be off my probationary period before I can start qualifying for more things? How do you apply to qualify for things anyway? I went to "qualifications" and it just says "cannot request this qualification" over to the right.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 951 Posts

Hey frisbee,

There are 2 main types of qualifications you can get: Amazons built-in system qualifications (Approval Rating, Total Approved HITs etc) and custom qualifications that requesters use.

Requesters will use the system quals when they want to restrict their task to workers with a certain level of experience and/or perceived accuracy. For example, they might put "Total Approved HITs is not less than 5000 and HIT Approval Rate is not less than 98%". You will find that more tasks become available once you have completed 100, 200, 1000, 5000 and 10,000 approved HITs.

Always try to keep your approval rating high. Here are some ways to protect your approval rating:

As to custom qualifications:

• Some can be requested and are automatically granted upon request, such as productrnr HITs.
    • Most times when you click on "Request" qualifiation, the requester never sees your request. They have no way to know that people have requested the qual.
    • Some requesters put up HITs to test workers, and then grant the quals based on those HITs.
    • Many qualifications are closed: the requester has all the workers they need and they are not taking new workers
    • Some HITs have qualification tests attached, and you have to pass the test to get the qual.

It does not hurt to request qualifications - just know that 99.99% of your requests will go unanswered.

Instead of going through the "qualifications" tab (most of these are from requesters who are gone, the qual is closed or the HIT is long finished), search mturk for HITs you are not qualified for and see if there are quals you can request - go for ones that have work up right now.

Adult Content is a qual you should get, and can request.

Don't stress over the 'Masters' qualification - you may or may not get it someday.

Also, check out this thread on what to do for your first 5000 HITs.
    Last edited by RippedWarrior; 03-30-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

Wow thank you for the awesome reply! I REALLY appreciate your help. I screwed up and misread some instructions yesterday and got several rejections and now my approval ratio is only 88.4%. If I do a bunch of .01 hits, will that bring my ratio back up since they're so easy?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    Wow thank you for the awesome reply! I REALLY appreciate your help. I screwed up and misread some instructions yesterday and got several rejections and now my approval ratio is only 88.4%. If I do a bunch of .01 hits, will that bring my ratio back up since they're so easy?
    See Your statistics and how to figure what they mean

A great read, thanks! However, I have another question. It seems like you pick the HITS you want to work on, how does a requester stop you from doing their HITS if you have a poor rating? Since you are choosing ahead of time what you are working on, how can they stop you?

Quote Originally Posted by RippedWarrior View Post
    Hey frisbee,

There are 2 main types of qualifications you can get: Amazons built-in system qualifications (Approval Rating, Total Approved HITs etc) and custom qualifications that requesters use.

Requesters will use the system quals when they want to restrict their task to workers with a certain level of experience and/or perceived accuracy. For example, they might put "Total Approved HITs is not less than 5000 and HIT Approval Rate is not less than 98%". You will find that more tasks become available once you have completed 100, 200, 1000, 5000 and 10,000 approved HITs.

Always try to keep your approval rating high. Here are some ways to protect your approval rating:

As to custom qualifications:

• Some can be requested and are automatically granted upon request, such as productrnr HITs.
    • Most times when you click on "Request" qualifiation, the requester never sees your request. They have no way to know that people have requested the qual.
    • Some requesters put up HITs to test workers, and then grant the quals based on those HITs.
    • Many qualifications are closed: the requester has all the workers they need and they are not taking new workers
    • Some HITs have qualification tests attached, and you have to pass the test to get the qual.

It does not hurt to request qualifications - just know that 99.99% of your requests will go unanswered.

Instead of going through the "qualifications" tab (most of these are from requesters who are gone, the qual is closed or the HIT is long finished), search mturk for HITs you are not qualified for and see if there are quals you can request - go for ones that have work up right now.

Adult Content is a qual you should get, and can request.

Don't stress over the 'Masters' qualification - you may or may not get it someday.

Also, check out this thread on what to do for your first 5000 HITs.
    Can you Sticky this somewhere, Please?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,299 Posts

So, from what I am reading here, I can request quals until I am blue in the face, but requesters won't even see that I am asking? Hmmm...that means I need to hunt down qual hits or hits that have the actual qualification tests attached (I have found a couple-gotten any I took). This is good info to have, as I won't sit around waiting to hear back, as I have been doing :-) Thanks!

asherman

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 951 Posts

There are some that will grant automatically, such as productrnr. Bunny, Inc. & PI Search have qual tests attached. Good luck!
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RippedWarrior For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the great post!

Great info, newbie is just sucking up new advice.